Vertical Cracking in Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built a block shed (single skin) with a timber roof.

The walls were completed in October 2017. Today I found a crack in one of the walls. It starts at the top, and it goes halfway down. It's cracked on the inside as well as the outside.

The floor around that area looks solid. It's built predominantly on clay and the footings were filled concrete.

Weird thing is that the crack has occurred directly behind one of the support pillars:

xZFoed9.jpg

Here's the outside:

R5pu3o9.jpg

This is how far down it goes (about halfway):

Vfy22t4.jpg

The crack is 1.5mm wide at the widest gap, otherwise, it is 1mm wide (inside and out).

Truth be told I'm new to all of this and I am quite worried. I've put a lot of time, effort, and money into my shed. Can someone advise me, please?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Is not a structural issue, but any crack in render needs dealing with as it lets in water and degrades the render over time.

Easiest thing to do is gouge it a little and fill it with a clear silicone, or if you are painting it, use a polymer or polysulphide product.

Monitor it.

Sponsored Links
Is not a structural issue, but any crack in render needs dealing with as it lets in water and degrades the render over time.

Easiest thing to do is gouge it a little and fill it with a clear silicone, or if you are painting it, use a polymer or polysulphide product.

Monitor it.
That's a relief! Thanks Woody, I appreciate the advice.

Yes, I'll be painting it (soon) so I'll get on to it.

At the risk of being a pain, can you recommend a good product for filling in please?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The problem with cracked render, and cracked walls is that there will always be a bit more movement. So you need a flexible mastic, and one that will be paintable. So look for a polymer based mastic/sealant. Some are marked as adhesive/sealant, but look for the polymer word, and not silicone. Or a polysulphide mastic. Avoid anything that says acrylic.

You'll pay about £5 - £8. Any one will.

When you fill the crack, dip a flat bit of metal or plastic in soapy water and scrap this along the surface to flatten it out.

The problem with cracked render, and cracked walls is that there will always be a bit more movement. So you need a flexible mastic, and one that will be paintable. So look for a polymer based mastic/sealant. Some are marked as adhesive/sealant, but look for the polymer word, and not silicone. Or a polysulphide mastic. Avoid anything that says acrylic.

You'll pay about £5 - £8. Any one will.

When you fill the crack, dip a flat bit of metal or plastic in soapy water and scrap this along the surface to flatten it out.
Brilliant!

Thanks very much Woody. I appreciate all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back