Vertical flue - users experience any negative points ?

t22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to know if there are any negative points regarding using a vertical Flue

considering the option of a WB 37CDI combi in the integral garage that would have to be flued vertically through corner of shower room above then out through roof total of maybe 5 or 6 metres vertical

What I would like to know is are there any downsides of using a vertical flue of such a length ?

for example:-

would we notice any noise from the flue when in use

would there be any condensation on the outside of the flue wall

would it therefore require insulating before it is boxed in

I assume there would be a lot of condensate runing back down such a long length of flue - so how reliable are the seals on these WB flue systems ?

regarding the boxing in of the flue through the 1st floor shower room would it need to be removable for inspection

would the boiler be any noiser in use with a long vertical flue ?

thanks for taking the time to read this

Sponsored Links
You don't need to worry about this. In Germany most houses have basements or cellars with all the heating equipment down there, and almost all heating boilers have vertical flues.

• Thanks
Reactions: t22
good point Mysteryman thanks for your contribution

changing the sublect slightly:-

I holidayed in Germany last year & was facsinated by some of the roofs there

I noticed that the overhead mains 220v ac supply distribution went from house roof, to house roof, to house roof via galvanised poles built into the roof

& most of the houses had "steps " built into their roof to gain easy access ( these were 2 or 3 storey houses)

some of these were tiles in the same design but with a flat platform to walk up - others were galvanised metal steps projecting out from the roof tile

All flues there have to be checked by law every year, and the roof access is sometimes permanent. You can't fit a boiler without agreeing the flue route beforehand with the Inspector, and he checks it before the boiler is handed over for use.

Sponsored Links
regarding the boxing in of the flue through the 1st floor shower room would it need to be removable for inspection

YES. Flue joints MUST be accesible for inspection]

It's a medieval guild of chimney sweeps - they have awesome power to enter a German's home to inspect the flue. You'll never get in there as a tradesman unless your ancestors did it too.

Have a read of tb008 avaiable through the nhbc or hse website about boxed in flues.

Without reading all the docs, does that mean I have to fit inspection hatches to inspect the flue liner along the whole height of the chimney for my open flued boiler?

All flues there have to be checked by law every year, and the roof access is sometimes permanent. You can't fit a boiler without agreeing the flue route beforehand with the Inspector, and he checks it before the boiler is handed over for use.

Would u know ??

When u say all flues checked every year by law ? would that mean ? or would that include ? that what ever is fitted to it is serviced ?? something similar or the same go's on in Austria , where my mother lives ? or so she keeps telling me ??

Without reading all the docs, does that mean I have to fit inspection hatches to inspect the flue liner along the whole height of the chimney for my open flued boiler?

The rules only currently apply to sealed systems

You mean room sealed flues (as distinct from sealed systems that are the alternative to open vented...?!)

This is irritating news as my plan for replacing my boiler if it ever fails is to get a 40kW floor standing Worcester Bosch with a coaxial flue through the chimney. I don't see how all of the flue can be accessible with only a few inspection hatches?[/b]

This is irritating news as my plan for replacing my boiler if it ever fails is to get a 40kW floor standing Worcester Bosch with a coaxial flue through the chimney. I don't see how all of the flue can be accessible with only a few inspection hatches?[/b]

You only need to inspect the joints, so a complete length is ok, although i suppose tecnically, the flue/ terminal joint should be accesible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back