vertical radiator orientation

Reaction score
Country
France
I fitted a vertical radiator recently - it doesn't work properly. A representation (the solid black is the baffles):

radiator1.jpg

There were no instructions with it. The baffles at one end suggested to me that this is the bottom end. But the result was cold central panels:

cold spots radiator.jpeg.jpeg

Clearly I'm doing it wrong. Is the solution as simple as hanging it the other way around? I have the impression that the second baffle might be the issue -- not sure how to take it out though.

Can anyone point me to the ideal configuration?

Sponsored Links
If it was hung the other way up how would you bleed the air out of the centre section?

What type of valves have you used? lockshields on both sides or TRV on one end? It may be a case of balancing the radiators. Silly question but where is the bleed point?

Sponsored Links
Lockshields both sides. I don't think it's a question of balancing as the central panels are stone cold, not even vaguely warm - the hot water is by-passing them. Bleed point top left.

More detail:

rad1.jpeg

I think it would work if the second baffle were not in place. But I am reluctant to start hitting internals with a punch 'til I am a bit more certain.

Simon

Wondering if the current back of the rad should be the front, some will only work with water entering the correct side or as it came with no instructions it is a cheap import and there is a problem internally.

The baffle on the left in your drawing needs to be removed!

Amazing to come without instructions or anyone to ask for tech help!

But just remove the baffle and it will work.

Tony

Thanks Tony - that makes perfect sense.

The baffle looks like a big silver coin kept in place by paste. It's about 10cm inside the radiator. To remove.... hit it with a punch? And after I whack it, how do I get it out, or does it stay inside?

Simon

My vertical rads have one baffle at the bottom in the centre. So it circulates as a reverse return configuration and heats uniformly.
What make is your rad?

Last edited:
I have no idea as to make - it was a bargain though!

I would really like to know how to go about removing the baffle.

Thanks Tony - that makes perfect sense.

The baffle looks like a big silver coin kept in place by paste. It's about 10cm inside the radiator. To remove.... hit it with a punch? And after I whack it, how do I get it out, or does it stay inside?

Simon
I'd be inclined to drill holes in the baffle - that paste could be epoxy resin as strong as the steel of the rad. Google Long Shank HSS drill bits ;)

vertical radiators can be a pain to balance,
what works sometimes is shutting down the lockshield almost fully, this then slows the water down and lets it circulate better

Good point, but I am worrying about the slivers of steel circulate around the system forever more.

The rad is big and heavy - not easy to manipulate in order to repeatedly rinse out.

Most of the tall vertical rads I hang (from best heating is where they all seem to come from) are directional and need the flow and return correctly oriented to work properly. Oh, and the brackets they come with are absolutely shyte - with 8 rubber buffers that won't stay in place :mad:

Why not just try reversing the rad first and see if that helps? Then you can get into destructive mode :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back