very annoying ceiling stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, hope you can help.
I'm at my wits end with my bedroom ceiling. :(

removed paper, filled cracks and sealed with some diluted pva then emulsioned it but old water staining keeps showing through the paint.
gone over it a few times and it is fading but still very visible.

anyone any ideas of how to remedy the problem other than putting on another 10 coats??

please help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Styptic Knotting :?: Zinster stain block :?: ....Zampa may reply, HE`s the man

loft is above bedroom mate, and I know for sure there are no new leaks.

Seems to me old water staining 'deposits' are seeping through the paint somehow.

would it be worth appling a thicker mix of pva to the affected areas or would this make a mess of the job (90% of ceiling is fine)???

thanks for all replies :)

Sponsored Links
try an acrylic based primer as pva is water based and any water gets onto it will seep through, but an acrylic based will not. i believe you can get a waterproof pva aswell.

Styptic Knotting Zinster stain block ....Zampa may reply, HE`s the man

Why do you assume im male?.... :confused:

Leave the PVA....it wont work...as P.pitstop says its water based and will allow the stain to bleed through....but then again so is Acrylic...so that wont work either.

Knotting or Zinser should work ok..but pricey.....the cheapest option....ask most painters....a coat of oil based undercoat...as long as the stain is dry then it should seal it no problem.

Dont be tempted to use gloss...subsequent coats of paint may have trouble adhering to it.

Oh and Nigel....Ive just checked......I am male. ;)

cheers guys,
I think i'll have a go with the oil based undercoat. sounds feasible and not too pricey.
I'll let you know how i get on
Thanks! :)

I think I'd be tempted (probably stupidly) to put a thin layer of plaster over the offending stain, rub it back and then paint over it

If its a water based stain it could bleed through the plaster anyway...I wouldnt do it anyway.......I cant plaster to save me life! :confused:

went down to B & Q for some of the oil based undercoat but the guy redirecetd me to some stuff called 'stain stop'.

bought it after reading the tin where it says it is pretty much guaranteed to get rid of such pain in the a*%e stains and although quite expensive and like treacle to put on i admit it did a very good job - Bye bye stain! :D

After another coat of emulsion the ceiling is looking spot on. :D :D

just got to get on with finishing the rest of the room before carpet fitters arrive on Thursday!

Cheers for the words of advice everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back