Very large willow tree near to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can give me some info, we have been to look at a bungalow that has a very large willow tree in the garden (approx 15-20 m high) and is about 15 metres from the house. The property is approx 30 years old and should be build on a raft, as we are in a mining area. Can we expect any problem from the roots of the tree and will there be problems if we cut the tree down if we buy the place. Any advise will be welcome, thanks in advance.
regards johnwr

Sponsored Links
dont buy the hose unless seelr gives you a tree surgeons report

i wouldnt buy it, what happens if (heaven forbid) the tree falls

i had one near my shed, it has beebn fine through the storms some years back, 2-3 weeks ago we had storms and floods down came the tree onto shed roof, only damage was to the tree mind, but its put me off trees

Thanks for the quick reply Breezer, I have just been back to the house and the tree is only 6 metres from the corner of the house, I am very concerned about root damaging the foundations and the drains, don't fancy digging up sh1t pipes.
regards johnwr

Our recent extension had to be piled as a result of its close proximity to a mature willow tree. I asked my architect, off the record, if I can just cut it down. He thought this was likely to have a far greater detrimental effect. It was all a bit of a bummer really, it cost us a further 6 grand. :cry:

Sponsored Links
speak to a couple of tree surgeons for a bit of advice. the fact that it is built on a raft in a mining area mean that the it has been done to avoid possible subsidence problems. once the tree surgeons have told you about the characteristics of having it removed, speak to a structural engineer. Might cost a little bit of money, but its small change compared to what youre paying on the house.

Willows have about 20m infulence on clay soil. First thing to figure out would be, is it clay? Next check the property for cracks, especially along the corner nearest the tree.
Removal of the tree may cause the soil to heave and create more problems..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back