Very mild but annoying 'water hammer' in toilet cistern fill valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I admit up-front this is a tad feeble, but I'd rather ask the question than expend more effort and money (immediately at least). I recently replaced the siphon in my concealed bathroom toilet cistern after the diaphragm washer started to go. As well as fitting a Dudley Turbo 88 siphon (no more total disassembly next time) I also replaced the traditional float-arm fill valve with a Dudley 'Hyroflo'.

Only after reconstructing the panelling etc. did I start to notice a weird noise coming from the cistern: when either the sink or bath cold taps are shut off and the cistern is full the Hydroflo valve briefly makes a strange 'fluttering' sound. A bit of reading seems to support my initial assumption that the new fill valve is much more sensitive, and is reacting to a pressure pulse caused by shutting off the tap(s) a.k.a water hammer. So to the question: would a small water hammer arrestor on the feed pipe to the cistern fix this? This is a long way from banging pipework and I'm concerned that there may be a threshold to how effective these things are, such that in my case it may make no difference? :eek:

Sponsored Links
As this cistern has always filled quite slowly compared to downstairs, I removed the flow restrictor when fitting the new fill valve.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back