Very old TSO boiler - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a customer with an old TSO boiler(20-25), it has a selectos D42 burner and is in need of replacement, however as budgets are tight I suggested that instead of replacing the whole thing maybe a replacement burner would be a cheaper short term option. I read on here from one of you more knowledgable types that there was a burner that would "fit the slot" so to speak - however this was a while ago and can't find the post where I read it. Please could anyone remind me of which burner that might have been that will fit this old boiler ?

Sponsored Links
An Ecoflam Max 1
An EOGB X Series
A Riello RDB1
A Reillo R40 G5

Whats wrong with the D42 that cant be fixed? IMHO they were one of the best oil burners from the 70's ever made - very adaptible and most parts can still be obtained!

Hi Boilerman thanks for your reply - the problem with the selectos burner is that it keeps tripping the rcd in the consumer box I thought that maybe a new control box might be the answer which is a Danfoss 573h but have not had much luck in tracking one down yet - any thoughts on that ?

Have you measured the insulation resistance of the components?

Have you measured the earth leakage current?

Are the earth connections associated with the spark electrodes OK ? Is it sparking in the correct position and not sometimes to earth?

Sponsored Links
Hi Agile thanks for your reply - no is the answer to your questions but I will - when you say "earth leakage current" how would that be measured and what componets what that include ?

Pass the job on to some one who HAS a clue.

As stated, the D42 is a very simple burner.

Thanks terry - no one else in this area wants the job - I do have limited experience and am willing to learn but they don't teach everything at "school" and if I walk away from every job because there's something I don't quite understand where will I get ? I certainly wont be able to come on here and share any of my experience will I ?

In my 35 years I can te3ll you that the suspects for a tripping RCD are in order;
1) Water Circulation Pump
2) Oil Burner Motor
3) Ignition Transofrmer
4) Solenoid Coil (if your D42 has one (it probably doesn't)

As Terry has said get an engineer in ( a proper Boiler maintenance engineer - NOT a plumber!!)

Personally I love getting involved with an "Old Boiler"!!
whreabouts in Lincs are you?? ;)

Hi boilerman2 once again thanks for your helpful reply - A place called Wainfleet st Mary - and no it doesn't have a solenoid coil - I will go through that list of suspects I did have my doubts about the circ pumps (has 2). There are no "proper Boiler maintenance engineers" I am the "plumber" and I have all my OFTEC requirements (for what it's worth on this set up) as I said no I'm not very experienced I was trained by Triancos on a modern Eurostar combi and yes I may be a bit out of depth on this and I've no doubt will be again. I'm not trying to be something I'm not but something I would like to be - I'm to old to be an apprentice and what few companys there are around here are all to scared of compeition to be able to ask for advice. During my limited amount of time working as a plumber in this area I have been able to fix at least 10 broken boilers and am clocking up on my services as well, at least 50% of the broken down boilers were originally recently serviced by "proper boiler engineers" who have usually "cocked up" something that was ok. It also never ceases to amaze me as a "newish" starter in this profession how shoddy and sometimes dangerous work that has been carried out by previous so called "experienced" plumbers/engineers in some of the propertys that I am called to sometimes. I have no intention of being one of those - and yes I know theres lot's of new wannabe plumbers out there that do just as much damage. I have a lot of good feedback from my customer base and a lot of them tell me how disgusted they are with the level of service they receive from their current "contracted service" engineers who I have no doubt many years more experience than I have - I just want to get on and do a good job and learn what I can, which, with help from people like yourself I will be able to achieve, and, in return in a few years time be able to make useful helpful posts on here to someone like me who want's to learn and get on.

How often is the RCD tripping? and do you know what is happening Boiler wise when the trip pops? all of this info will be invaluable to identify the fault my money is on the Hot Water Primary Pump (thinking that the heating pump is probably not being used currently?)

By the way The Danfos 57L3 Control is long since obsolete, to repalce this you would have to remove the old box unwire the base and remove, discard the photoresistor and repalce all three items
i would fit a Satronic TF830 Control Box, with a U701Wiring base and plate, and a MZ Photocell - you will need the wiring lead for this as well

I would be amazed if the Control box was causing this fault though!! ;)

On a boiler this old, it is possible that your problem may be caused by the boiler thermostat, or the wiring associated with it. From memory, the cabling runs from the top of the boiler inside the case. It's worth inspecting this.and also checking the connections inside the control box base.They can get 'stressed' when the burner is removed as the cables harden with age and heat. replacing the thermostat connections with a link in the wiring base will enable you to eliminate the thermostat. Turning on the system with the boiler switched off will prove the circulator. Without a solenoid, it is difficult to 'fudge' the burner to test each component. When does the trip operate? If it is instantaneous, then disconnecting the motor from the control box will allow you to run the transformer through a cycle. If that works, then motor has to be suspect.
When a replacement burner is available for £200-250 + vat, it can be cheaper than messing about with an old burner.

Hi oilhead thanks for your reply - I can't get over to the customer till Fri so I'll have a look at what you have suggested and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back