Oilman HELP Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a Thorn oil boiler ody3, with a Selectos burner D42
and a Suntec pump no numbers on it. Nozzle size is 85 x 80 presume solid

Whats happening is the burner fires, a few seconds later the flame starts pulsing and smoking (Big time smoking) any guesses would be helpful
pump pressure test not done yet.

The filter has been cleaned but it did have a lot of muck in it and a little water. i am wondering if this has got through and damaged the pump.

I have no knowledge of this old beast so if you can point me in the right direction for diagnosis and spares I would be grateful.

thanks Brian

Sponsored Links
Hi taydo!
Ah someone else with a Thorn ody 3. I would say your problem is related to dirty nozzle and/or insuffient air. I have to go now but will be back later with all the information on parts you need.
In the meantime lets see if it ties up with oilman.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it has had water in oil have you compleatly purged it of any water otherwise droplets of water will cause flame to extinguish followed by oil which may not ignite properly, hit hot surfaces and produce smoke.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Thanks all

Yes checked the flue superfically but I will chuck a pellet in the hole so to speak. I dont think this is the problem though.

Hi Mandate you seem to know this monster is the air flow adjusment a slide on the side of the chamber if not what was I playing with cos the thing only fire with this in one place.

I cant leave it running to much smoke leaking out of the sight glass Mmm I think I had better seal that up before I go any further.

Brian

Hi Brian!
Can't disagree with Alans comments. However there are 3 versions of this boiler 60, 75 and 90 representing the output in 1000btus/hr.
Also fuel can kerosene or gas oil so there are a few variants depending on what you have got.
You say nozzle size is 85 by 80 presume solid, The spec states Monarch 80degrees AR. with a No that relates to nozzle diam. 0.65, 0.75 or 0.85. If the boiler rating code is 90 then it would tie up. I purchased mine from HRPC who are on the net but have many outlets cost about £5.
The original oil pump was Sunstrand A2ZCL 1028-4 without a solinoid I replaced mine with a SUNTEC AS47C7451 with solinoid. Oil pump pressure depends on type of fuel and boiler rating.If kerosene pressures are 100, 110 and 120 lbs/sq. in Also a suitable pressure gauge was £11 but could not be used without an adaptor to increase length
Original control box and photo cell was by Petercam or Danfoss but are no longer available. One replacement is the satronic box TF802B, the wiring base is S701 and the photo cell is FZ711 totaling about £80 this is in 1996. Wiring of control box also depends whether a solinoid is incorporated in pump.
hope this helps.

Yes Brian theres a knurled knob that unscrews then you can slide it in an arc, the opening is in the side of the burner tube.
Talking about the flue, don't forget there's a couple of baffles in the boiler flue cavities that may need cleaning. If you remove the small rectangular covers on top of the boiler you will find the rods holding the baffles up, turning them will allow the baffle to drop down so you can remove them when you have taken the front cover off.

Mandate you are a life saver thanks very much. Yes the pump on this one
has the solenoid valve bolted to it.

Its typical I have just started telling people that I can now fit oil boilers thinking nice new boulter boilers and I wont be busy for a while and I can get all the kit paid by the first job, and bang word gets around and im being begged over the phone by customers to service there machines,
I should have refused it really knowing I didnt have a gauge, but still I chucked myself in at the deep end again.

Thanks again everyone I will let you know what it was.

Brian

Brian! Another thought. I'm assuming the smoke is black indicating either too much fuel or too little air.
There is a cylindrical fan mounted on the end the motor and the contoured blades get full or dirt and may even reduce the size of the slots slightly. This could reduce the effectiveness of the fan.
Only last week my neighbour had a problem (same boiler) where his motor was reluctant to turn. bearings had obviously not been oiled for years and I noticed the build up of dirt on his fan.

Thanks Mandate the fan does looks clean, yes the smoke is black

Hi taydo!
Just wondering how you went on with the Thorn ODY 3. It would be nice to know how you cured the problem.

Hi Mandate

Went back to it today stripped it down, it was supposed to have been serviced last year but looks doubtful the job has been done properly, cleaned it up new nozzle etc opened the airway right up and hey presto it started working.
Only one thing bothering me the fan is clean the airway is clear but I have to have the air slide open full to get the correct readings?

Don't worry too much about readings. Just tune for min smoke.

Check motor RPM as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back