Very sad.

Sponsored Links
Yes was watching as it happened, frightening to see and very sad that two animals have been killed.

They eventually shut the race course for the day.

Apparently when they removed the bridal on one horse it had burn marks in its mouth.

The stable Boys had been saying they had been getting shocks off the horses.

A prime example of potential difference I think, often difficult for the apprentices to understand at college, but this demonstrates it very well.

Another good example of how RCD protection can save lives!!!

Two horses have been killed by (apparently) voltage gradients in the ground across the paddock and yet it seems people are still standing there in the area where there was enough voltage to kill a horse.

Or was it that by the time the photo was taken the reason for the electrocution had been identified for certain and the hazarous circuit de-energised.

Another good example of how RCD protection can save lives!!!

A bit soon to say that an RCD would have helped in any way, as (if it's the same article I read half an hour ago) it's not even 100% certain that these horses died of electrocution. Even if that was the cause of death, it could have been a fault with a part of the distribution network leading to a large current and voltage gradients in the ground, or any other number of things.

Sponsored Links
Certainly gonna be a busy weekend of investigation before any more horses are allowed anywhere near !

Very true electronicsuk. They seem fairly certain that there is some elctrical cause however, two horses dead, one other seen to fall.

Horses require far less current to kill them it appears, all the same very sad and if the DNO are at fault then I hope they are made to pay dearly, perhaps they will take their responsibilities a little more seriously rather than concentrating on maximising profits!!

I'm not so sure if it takes more current to cause ventricular fibrilation in a horse than a human being.
Horses will be more prone to fatal shocks than humans in the above instance as the space between the front and hind legs allow a greater PD from the voltage pool hence current to flow across their heart.
A person on two legs doesn't have as greater PD across their legs and also this does not cause current to flow across the heart.

Many years ago I was having problems with radar units on temporary traffic lights making the heads go live when the earth wires went faulty. The radars were using the earth as a neutral. I was having problems getting the manufactures to rectify the fault so went to our firms legal department.
It transpired that 25 volt was enough to kill a cow. And since these lights were used in the country there was a very real risk. All radar units were changed to a type using auto transformer to get centre tape not the earth wire.

So I can understand why horses died but not people. As to RCD protection I wonder what the ma level would need to be to protect a horse? Also although I know graphite is added to the rubber used to make the Wellington, it is a poor conductor and with mud around likely the foot ware would have also protected humans. Unlikely the trainers walk around with bare feet.

[stereotype]Yeah, but unless you're a Belgian HV jointer, where's the benefit in dead horses?[/stereotype]

But on a more serious note ('cos I've eaten horse meat, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it)...

Apparently when they removed the bridal on one horse it had burn marks in its mouth.
I would so love to read an explanation of how a bridle could cause burn marks in a horse's mouth if there was a faulty cable buried in the ground.

I know graphite is added to the rubber used to make the Wellington, it is a poor conductor...

Did you mean graphite is a poor conductor?

Compared to rubber?

Graphite is a good conductor. It ( and similar materials ) are added to rubber in tyre to make it slightly conductive in order to allow static electricity to leak away. ( Before this was done buses often had insulation on the hand rails to prevent people getting onto the bus getting a shock from the static electricity built up on the bus )

I would so love to read an explanation of how a bridle could cause burn marks in a horse's mouth if there was a faulty cable buried in the ground.

More likely it was mechanical damage caused when the stable lad tried to keep the horse from rearing up. Possibly a friction burn from the strap rubbing against the horses skin.

But most likely the remark was added for effect based on the assumption that electric shock "always" involves burning.

I saw the video too, great shame! Must admit it did look like they were getting shocks from the ground. Induced VF into any heart (horse or human) only takes a small amount of current flow in the right place at the right time (it can sometimes depend on heart rate and which part of the cardiac cycle the heart is in when the shock is initiated and/or stopped) A fit racing horse will have a natural arythmia in any case and may be more susceptible to an induced disturbance. It does seem reasonable to suggest that the longer leg span would cause more PD to be collected from the ground..

Will be very interesting to find out why the cable was so close to the surface and how it got damaged (without even apparently causing disconnection)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back