Very Slow Float Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new toilet.
All works fine except the float valve (bottom entry) fills very slowly. Takes about 5 minutes.
A small jet/trickle of water exits the small outlet at the top, but not much/nothing exits from the bottom of the valve - which is where I expected the majority of water to exit into the cistern.
The water supply is from a cold water tank with over 2 metres head.
I've also tried removing the small blue plug (on the top) which I think should be in place for high pressure (mains fed) systems - but this doesn't work.
The valve is made by a company called R&T. But cant find anything about them online.
Any advice on what I can do? apart from getting a different one.
Thanks.
Here's a picture of the offending item:
RT-float-valve.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you have read the instructions and your water pressure is within limits I'd throw it away and buy a torbeck valve. They come in two bottom entry sizes - so make sure you get the right one. And flush the pipework before fitting

Take it to bits and sus out how it works - not always a simple task! There might be a hole somewhere you can drill out a bit, which can make a huge difference.

Sponsored Links
I did the take it to bits - how it works route.
It seems that the valve uses the water pressure passing up its central core to 'lift' a diaphram, allowing water to pass back down an outer sleeve to the base of the valve - into the cistern.
So it would seem that I do not have enough water pressure :eek:
As I bought the suite online, I'll have to wait till tomorrow for a reply from the supplier and can hopefully get a'low pressure' replacement.
Thou if anyone else has had a similar problem, I'd be grateful to know their solution.
Thanks for your replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back