Very slow PC

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a relatively new PC and it's just got slower and slower so it's almost unuasble.

It's not short of memory and the hard disk is not fragmented.

To be honest my mind is open to what the issue could be.

Some advice on what to do to try and first work out what the issue is then come up with a fix would be much appreciated.....

Thanks
WSB

Sponsored Links
WSB - Have you installed any anti virus? specifically Norton ?

As Eddie mentioned the task manager will give a view on what is going on behind the scenes.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
I don't know how good you are with computers but I would reinstall Windows. I am assuming it's Windows 10 you are using. You can get an up to date copy of Win 10 from here:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The link you want is below the "Update now" link. Using this tool will make a bootable USB pen drive that will allow you to do a clean install of Windows. This will serve a couple of functions. First it will get rid of all the computer manufacturer's junk. Secondly it will clear any malware or viri that you may have. if you do decide to go down this road make sure that you back up all your personal files as everything on your computer will be lost.

• Thanks
What hard disk does it have in it? The (mechanical) hard disk is the primary bottleneck these days. Replacing it with an SSD disk will improve performance without doubt. Especially if you are going to reinstall Windows (make sure you have all the drivers for the machine's devices such as graphics cards and network cards) then this is the ideal time to go SSD. However, be aware that larger disks are/may be hybrid where only a small part of the capacity is SSD, the rest is a standard disk. For example a 240GB SSD hard disk is around £60, a 480GB SSD around £95. One Terabit SSDs are around £300!

• Thanks
This question was posted a few weeks ago, without a response from the poster since the day it was posted.

That said, when I 'fix' people's laptops/PC's etc, I generally just reinstall Windows. That takes it back to being better than new, as it gets rid of the usually crappy anti-virus software pre-installed. You do need to be careful regarding drivers, especially if you have a gaming PC, but, generally, not a problem.

However, there is a wealth of information that would help us to assist you:

1. Is it Windows 10?
  2. 'Relatively new', what does this mean (When did you buy it)?
  3. I assume you bought it brand new?
  4. Was it running fast initially and then got gradually slower?
  5. What is the make and model?
  6. Does it have an SSD?
  7. Have you installed loads of software?
  8. Have you installed software specifically to make it faster? The latter is usually trouble-shooting software that ultimately slows it down.
  9. What antivirus software are you using?
  10. Have you done an offline scan?
A bit of information will help us.

• Thanks
Big apologies folks for the slow response!!!

Got caught up with lots of other stuff.

Many thanks to you all for your responses

In answer to Paul's questions above:

• Is it Windows 10? - YES
  • 'Relatively new', what does this mean (When did you buy it)? - CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, ABOUT 3-4 YEARS AGO
  • I assume you bought it brand new? - YES
  • Was it running fast initially and then got gradually slower? - YES
  • What is the make and model? - ZOOSTORM WITH INTEL CELERON 1037U @1.80GHZ 4.00GB RAM
  • Does it have an SSD? - NO NORMAL HARD DISK
  • Have you installed loads of software? - NOT REALLY.
  • Have you installed software specifically to make it faster? The latter is usually trouble-shooting software that ultimately slows it down. - NO
  • What antivirus software are you using? - F-SECURE THAT VIRGIN INITIALLY SUPPLIED BUT I NOW PAY FOR
  • Have you done an offline scan? - YES - COULDN'T FIND ANY PROBLEMS. ALSO, CHECKED DEFRAG AND ALL OK.

Don't really want to mess around changing to an SSD. Just would be happy with getting back to working how it was when I bought it.

Sounds like reinstalling Windows 10 is my best option.

However, I have no CDs.
Also, where can I find my product key (or whatever else I need to reinstall Win 10) assuming I can somehow get Win 10 online?

I'll backup my personal stuff anyway but would be surprised that reinstalling Win 10 would clear that anyway?

Ok then crunch time....

How can I reinstall Win 10 and what do I need ?

Thanks again for all the help folks.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/very-slow-pc.501117/#ixzz5DcyDMwVD

We are here to help. Firstly, 3 - 4 years old :) That is a lot of Windows and other software updates. Windows also likes to leave old crap lying around. Anyway, for the record, installing a new SSD is very simple. You take out the old HDD and replace it with the new SSD. You can easily make do with a 64GB SSD. I have even used 32GB ones with no problems. Obviously, the key is to then make sure you have your data (movies, photos, documents, bookmarks etc) on a separate disk.

They are also very cheap. the beauty of replacing the disk with an SSD is that it is non-destructive, i.e. your old HDD is still intact.

That said, you have 2 options that I am prepared to offer:

1. Install Windows 10 on a new SSD.

2. Install Windows 10 on your existing HDD (assuming it is a HDD).
I, personally, would recommend option 1 as it is non-destructive. You may require a cable. Also, this allows you to connect the existing HDD via a caddy in case you have data on it. Your PC may also have spare bays anyway, allowing you to add the SSD, but, you unless you switch the cables around, you will need yo amend the BIOS to change the boot disk priority. These things may sound complicated, but, they are not.

I have done this so many times that I do tend to forget some steps. However, as far as I can remember, Microsoft have changed the way they validate the software on licensed PC's. It used to be the case that when you changed various parts of hardware (HDD, LAN card, graphics card etc.), this would invalidate the licence. However, apparently, their servers are more 'aware' now, so, assuming your previous licence was valid, you can just reinstall Windows 10 again and it will become validated. The software is easily downloaded from, guess where, Microsoft's very own website. Try here. There is nothing illegal about downloading Windows 10, just using it without a valid licence is dodgy!

So, my suggestion is that, assuming that your current PC has a valid Windows 10 licence, you will have no problems.

Before you do this, you should make a note of any software you may need to reinstall, and backup any data if you are overwriting the existing disk.

Going forward, you should consider using Windows Defender initially, and cancel payment of the paid for one. I have never had a virus with it yet.

Also, consider taking some system images shortly after the initial installation and the subsequent Windows updates, labelled accordingly.

Many Thanks Paul. That's great!!!
Will give that a go and let you know how I get on.
Hopefully tonight.
Cheers!

I should add that, when installing Windows 10, you may be prompted to enter a licence number, but, you can skip this step. I cannot remember the wording, and I don't think it makes it obvious, but, trust me, you can!

I think it will only let you skip the licence key if that machine and same hardware has already been successfully registered before.
probably too late now but when you run task manager you could have selected the start-up tab and it would have listed all the programmes which were automatically started and running in the background and allows you to disable them so thatthry don't automatically start from the run registry key or the startup folder
How to Run Program Automatically at Startup on Windows 10

1. First of all you need to locate your Startup.
  2. So bring the Run command dialog box into your computer screen by pressing Windows and R.
  3. Type shell:startup on the command field and click Ok.
  4. The Startup folder for the logged in user account will come on the screen.

Hi All,
I know this a bit delayed but last weekend I finally got round to working on the slow PC.
Did a reinstall of Windows 10 using the Reset PC function.
This took a while but got there in the end. On top of that, had to re-install FSecure virus protection and Office.
Other than that, nothing else.
I think it's quicker than before but still a heck of a lot slower than my ancient other PC running Windows 7.
Thanks for all your advice folks.
If there's any other tweaks I need to do to improve it, I'm all ears.
Many Thanks!!!

Did you choose the option to "Keep my files" or similar? To be honest, I am not sure what this 'reset' does, but I suspect that it isn't a complete new installation of Windows, in which case it won't really get much better.

As another user mentioned, the easiest way is to download Windows 10 from Microsoft. This also gives you the option to create a bootable USB stick from which to install Windows. It even guides you through the process.

That said, there is currently an SSD on a great deal, 120GB for £24. This would make a massive difference, believe me. You would need a few fittings, probably just a bracket, but the place selling this even provide a video showing you how to do it! This is also non-destructive, so your existing hard disk is left intact.

If you lived near me, I would happily do it for you.

Sponsored Links
Back