Very slow PC

Did you choose the option to "Keep my files" or similar? To be honest, I am not sure what this 'reset' does, but I suspect that it isn't a complete new installation of Windows, in which case it won't really get much better.

As another user mentioned, the easiest way is to download Windows 10 from Microsoft. This also gives you the option to create a bootable USB stick from which to install Windows. It even guides you through the process.

That said, there is currently an SSD on a great deal, 120GB for £24. This would make a massive difference, believe me. You would need a few fittings, probably just a bracket, but the place selling this even provide a video showing you how to do it! This is also non-destructive, so your existing hard disk is left intact.

If you lived near me, I would happily do it for you.

This is interesting. If, for any reason, my computer suffers a similar problem does this mean that I can download W10 from MIcrosoft at no charge? The idea of having a bootable USB stick in case of a problem appeals to me.

Then there is the problem of a Windows installation having to be registered to a particular computer, or so I thought.

Sponsored Links
Did you choose the option to "Keep my files" or similar? To be honest, I am not sure what this 'reset' does, but I suspect that it isn't a complete new installation of Windows, in which case it won't really get much better.

As another user mentioned, the easiest way is to download Windows 10 from Microsoft. This also gives you the option to create a bootable USB stick from which to install Windows. It even guides you through the process.

That said, there is currently an SSD on a great deal, 120GB for £24. This would make a massive difference, believe me. You would need a few fittings, probably just a bracket, but the place selling this even provide a video showing you how to do it! This is also non-destructive, so your existing hard disk is left intact.

If you lived near me, I would happily do it for you.
I selected to keep files. Many thanks for your kind offer Paul. At that price, will probably try myself.

This is interesting. If, for any reason, my computer suffers a similar problem does this mean that I can download W10 from MIcrosoft at no charge? The idea of having a bootable USB stick in case of a problem appeals to me.

Then there is the problem of a Windows installation having to be registered to a particular computer, or so I thought.
Yes, downloading Windows is perfectly ok, and I would encourage getting it only from Microsoft's site. If the current PC/laptop already has a valid version of Windows 10, you will be fine as long as you pick the same version (Home, Pro, etc.). You just skip the bit where it asks at the start, then, it recognises the hardware, checks the MS servers, and you are licensed.

I have done this about 5 times in the last few weeks on laptops and PC's, and even an old ChromeBook.

Sponsored Links
Yes, downloading Windows is perfectly ok, and I would encourage getting it only from Microsoft's site. If the current PC/laptop already has a valid version of Windows 10, you will be fine as long as you pick the same version (Home, Pro, etc.). You just skip the bit where it asks at the start, then, it recognises the hardware, checks the MS servers, and you are licensed.

I have done this about 5 times in the last few weeks on laptops and PC's, and even an old ChromeBook.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I can only find Microsoft sites that sell Windows 10 for £120! Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place.
Do you happen to have a link, please?

Thank you. Unfortunately, I can only find Microsoft sites that sell Windows 10 for £120! Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place.
Do you happen to have a link, please?
Try here and then download the tool - blue button.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Back