very slow running shower drain

@old duffer - you're a legend for taking time to post that Mira fix - had the exact same issue for a loft shower, and drilling a hole the opposite side as suggested sorted it, just as parents were over to stay, who discovered it was nearly flooding as so slow to drain!

Had actually been using shower for a while fine (a few showers a month) but recently found a slow leak coming down through ceiling in bedroom underneath. Cut a hole in ceiling to inspect, and turns out the "waste seal" under tray was pinched\torn and after a few mins of hot shower it was letting water through. Mira sent out a whole new assembly - and when replacing, i noticed plumber never fitted the "bracket seal" - so when i reassembled with that added, and a not torn "waste seal" - i could sense it was all more 'air tight' and was operating as designed (i.e. "waste tubes" and waste body forming a water trap'). But while we fixed one issue, we started seeing the 'airlocking' @Madrab described , which the hole sorted....but believe i'm reading that a better fall would have sorted too?

Main question i have now though - is the fact i drilled an 8mm hole (on opposite side of drain escape) meaning that i'm going to get sewer gas up? Is that what a self-venting piece should prevent. Like OP, my fall probably isn't great, and goes out to the soil stack with AAV. I don't believe i have a self venting section of pipe work under shower tray- there's just an elbow coming off vertical waste outlet and a white flexi bit for a half-meter that i can feel connects into a solid pipe and goes outside to meet soil stack. should i replace flexi run with a self seal or something suitable? Any advice appreciated.

Update: Confirmed it's a mcalpine stiff flexi (with the smooth inside), so not too bad, thinking i use the flexiness to try connect to the opposite waste side (horizontal one) so that creates more of a fall, as being connected to the vertical means it's a bit lower). i'll take a pic later...

Attachments

• 1716544913034.png
    1716544913034.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
+1 - Couldn't agree more -

Always best to use swept bends on inaccessible waste pipe - 90deg elbows are just a mare waiting to happen, especially in slow running shower waste runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back