Very stressed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The window in my living room was 30 year old mahogany frame (approx. 6’ x 6’), which was rotting, so I saved up and got a new uPVC replacement put in yesterday.

Possibly too much information, but I suffer from a kind of PTSD, and find things like this very difficult and stressful. Anyway, job got finished eventually, and looked good, so I spent a good part of yesterday and today cleaning the room, moving stuff back in etc.

Later, I sat down for the first time with a cup of tea, and sat looking at the nice new window… and thought the two middle members (whatever you call them) seemed to be bulging ever so slightly into the room. I put a straight edge against them, and sure enough, they’re both slightly curved – convex with respect to the room.

You probably wouldn't notice if you didn’t know, but I’m hypersensitive to things like that.

I then went and checked another room that they did a couple of years ago, and it’s the same, maybe even a bit worse. I never noticed it before, as that room is a workshop, and I work with my back to that window.

I've added a photo so you can see what kind of window it is, but you can't see the curvature.

So my question… does this suggest badly made units, or could it have been something about the fitting? Are there any potential consequences, or is it just a question of how much it annoys me?

I don’t see an easy solution – having to go through fitting windows in two rooms again would probably finish me off. So I guess, initially, what I need to know is what I’m dealing with.

Thanks everybody

PS I Googled this before posting, and everything I could find concerned walls sagging on top of the units etc. This house was built in 1994, brick, decent quality I think, and if my attempts to drill above one of the windows to put rawl plugs in for curtains is anything to go by, has proper lintels.

20230127_211109.jpg

Sponsored Links
Then I read that there can be internal and external lintels, so thought I'd better go outside and check that there's something above the actual windows... does this look like a steel lintel to you?

20230127_213643.jpg

I'm no expert but the lintels look fine, no sign of cracking on the brickwork. I would expect the glass units to have cracked under the pressure required to bow the frame members.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Yes, i understand that.
But this is the internet.
Just sayin'.
It was a genuine question. I really don't understand what anyone on the internet might do with 4 characters from someone's car registration plate.

It was a genuine question. I really don't understand what anyone on the internet might do with 4 characters from someone's car registration plate.
they could use them in an armed robbery or terrorist attack!

Criminal masterminds have not figured out that they could simply head up to the city bypass and glean 1,000 reg plates and car types per hour, so they often lurk mysteriously on internet forums, often disguised as a french-man, and there they steal reg plates for their miscreant ways

they could use them in an armed robbery or terrorist attack!

Criminal masterminds have not figured out that they could simply head up to the city bypass and glean 1,000 reg plates and car types per hour, so they often lurk mysteriously on internet forums, often disguised as a french-man, and there they steal reg plates for their miscreant ways
Actually, what they do here in N Ireland is for crooks from Eire to get number plates made with typical random NI numbers, stick them on their builders’ vans etc in Dublin, speed freely, park in disabled spots, and drive through tolls without paying.

So, I might choose TRZ4988, at random – turns out it’s a Toyota hybrid, but the plates will typically be stuck on a white van belonging to a dodgy builder, or one which does a lot of fly tipping.

When the van is photographed doing 60 in a 30, the southern authorities can’t be bothered to check the DVLA website to see that it’s obviously a fake, so summonses are then sent from Dublin to the owner of the actual car in the North.

Of course, that’s like getting a summons from the French police – it has no authority. But you may well find yourself “darted” if you drive across the border and are spotted by a police car with ANPR.

I could do the same with an English number – let’s use mine, with my postcode for the missing characters: BT15 LZO. Turns out my little red MG is a black Vauxhall.

Anybody know anything about windows?

If there's any way for you to put a straight edge / level on one of the 'middle members' as you call them and take a pic from sideways on, it'll give you (and folk on here) a better idea of just how bad the bow is.

It’s quite a tall window, I wonder if the upvc profile is changing shape slightly due to temperature differential between inside and outside. You could have 20deg inside and maybe 2 deg outside.

how much bow are we talking - 5mm or so?

the window has tall mullions, they would be quite flexible at that height.

It wont be anything to do with load from above - your windows would have been made small than the opening and then wedge up - if the bow is caused by compression it could be it was fitted with wedge packers and somebody put some right above the millions and hammered them in too hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back