Very thin exterior walls (1-2mm). What's this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to install a clothes line in the balcony of my new build flat, but after drilling the first hole I have realized that the exterior walls are made of a very thin panel (no more than 1 or 2 mm). It looks like plasterboard, but very, very thin. Behind that there is some kind of insulation white foam. Do anybody know what this walls are called? Where to get more information about them? Will they be strong enough to hold a folding clothing line?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Fibre cement cladding? You won't be able to fix anything to that.

Wet washing needs a strong support.

And you shouldn`t be hanging washing out. You`ll make the place look like a 1950`s Council Block :LOL:

Sponsored Links
After looking at it more carefully, it must be around 4-5 mm thick. But still quite thin. I've been searching about fibre cement panels on the internet and all I have found are thicker (8mm or more), but I guess it must be some kind of that. Thanks. I'll have to get a standalone airer.

And you shouldn`t be hanging washing out. You`ll make the place look like a 1950`s Council Block :LOL:
This is something I find quite funny. We are not supposed to hang our clothes outside, but we are also supposed to be ecological. Wasting effort in insignificant things like not leaving devices in stand-by, but then wasting lots of electricity using a tumble dryer, to do something the sun and wind do without releasing any CO2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back