vet bills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on thursday i had my 1yr old dog spayed which cost £120,yesterday she seems to think she is pregnant and is producing milk(god knows how as they have removed the ovaries and uterus)she makes a nest out of her bed and thinks that her toys are puppies :cry: she is a sorry sight.i rang the vets and they said she will need some special medication that will cost £50 :eek: i pointed out that i thought post op meds would be included but no.it seems they have me over a barrel and of course the dogs health comes 1st but none of this was mentioned to me when i booked her in.not a happy bunny now and have a unhappy puppy aswell.god i hate mondays.

Sponsored Links
Its when they recommend that she has therapy that you know they're really trying to stiff you.......

I've used many different vets over the last 30 years - though for cats, not dogs - and I can tell you that they're not all equal. There are good ones and bad ones, cheap ones and expensive ones and little correlation between quality and price. Get a second opinion.

Sponsored Links
when did she last go into season?? it is usually recommended that a spay be carried out well away from a season, as the hormones present at these times can cause complications. if she was having a phantom pregnancy before the spay, i think your vet has chosen very bad timing.

if she has just started a phantom pregnancy, it may be the case that not all of the ovary/uterus has been removed. in which case they haven't carried out the procedure correctly and they should rectify asap. this happens more commonly than is thought.

the medicine they offer you may be galastop. it's a prolactin inhibitor and works by stopping production of the hormones present in a false pregnancy. 15ml bottle costs around £38.

I had to take our Labrador pup to the vets a couple of weeks ago. She was prescribed some antibiotics, 10 tables nearly £6. The ironic thing is they were the same tablets that I had been prescribed by my GP some months earlier, but I had a months supply for £6.40 :confused:

And no thats doesn't mean that I'm a dog :LOL:

My cat had his kn*ckers sliced off and continued to get nefarious thoughts about his sister, climbing on and off willy-nilly (joke intended!) and giving her what for.

The vet said if the behaviour did not stop within a few months, the only way to curtail it would be to perform a labotomy on the part of the brain controlling sexual activity.

Thankfully he no longer does it. Well, his sister is dead now. I know that might not stop some, but the fact that she is 29 miles away and 6 feet under will stop all but the most persistant randy tom....

user...... sorry for the delay in replying.she was last in season 3 mths ago so i would say about half way between.the drug was galastop but 4 days later seems to be taking its time to work.

securespark said:
My cat had his kn*ckers sliced off and continued to get nefarious thoughts about his sister, climbing on and off willy-nilly (joke intended!) and giving her what for.

I'm interested to hear this, my parents' cats are exactly the same. It generally happens after he has been sleeping in the sun. He wakes up, making a very strange meow, clambers on top of his sister, and then looks confused about what to do next! It's like someone ripped a page out of his sex manual! The vet had to check him over, but was definitely castrated.

OMG, sorry to hear about the poor pup. If it's any consolation to her, I know a male dalmation who was neutered and then grew a lump on his side. Turned out to be an ovary, the poor chap turned out to be a hermaphrodite and had to be spayed as well, just in case. Getting neutered TWICE, that's got to be a claim to fame! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back