VHS to DVD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a Funai HDR - B2735 . Ive recorded the VHS to to HDD no problems but trying to record to DVD i keep getting recording error(fail). The DVD-r is the correct type and blank. Ive not got a clue what to do next unless its just broke and cant record.
Was wondering if anyone on here has used one before.
Thanks

NeilC

Sponsored Links
The following presumes that you're following the instructions correctly, and that you've tried recording from TV to test that the machine isn't just having a hissy-fit with the VHS copies. Also, that you're not trying to copy commercial VHS which might include an anti-copy signal.

With DVD-Hard Disc recorders the first thing to go is always the DVD Recorder bit. I think a lot of the cause is that the hard disc is what's used most often, so no-one really notices the build-up of dust that affects the lens until it comes time to burn a disc.

First things first though, have you checked that the machine can play bought DVD films yet? If it can, then that's good news. It means that the laser is still okay. The next step is get the laser focusing lens cleaned up.

The best way is to whip the lid of the recorder off and clean with a cotton bud dampened with isopropyl alcohol. It contains virtually no water and dries quickly without leaving much of a residue. If you're old enough to remember cleaning cassette recorder heads then it's the same liquid if you used the proper stuff. Being brave enough to whip the lid off and having isopropyl alcohol to hand though usually indicates someone who would know how to do this already, and that might not be you, so let's look at the alternative as well.

It's a DVD Lens Cleaner disc. (Looks like a ordinary blank silver DVD but with a tiny brush poking up from the surface.) The idea is that as the disc spins, the brush wipes away dust off the lens. That's okay if it's dry dust. It's not so good if there's any sticky coating on the lens from airborne pollution. This can come from some plug-in air fresheners, smoking, cooking residues in open plan homes. For these reasons the cleaning disc can be a bit hit or miss.

Once you've had a go at cleaning, try playing back any disc that you might have previously recorded on that machine. If the laser can do that, then there's a fair chance it can burn a new disc too. You might want to try a DVD-ReWriteable (DVD-RW) disc in the machine just to get the hang of the ins and outs. Being re-writeable, any slip-ups can be erased and recorded over on an RW disc.

I had three of those back in the day. A Panasonic, a Sony and I think a Funai, not to sure on that but the name rings a bell. Anyway all three of them packed up just out of guarantee same symptoms. I eventually took my VHS tapes to Boots and they transferred the ones I had left. That was expensive but they were family videos that I didn't want to lose.

I ll clean the lens and take it from there. Ive never burnt a disc on the machine since I bought it so theres a chance it might be dirty. They are just family stuff I am trying to copy so no copyright stuff at all.
Fingers crossed a clean will work.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good luck

Oh, and the best way to say thanks is by going to the post(s) you found helpful and then hovering your mouse over where it says Multi-quote. You'll see the word Thanks appear. Click on it. Takes 2 seconds. Costs you nowt. Marks the advice as good for those who might follow later by doing a Google search. Gives a bit of kudos to those who took time out of their day to help you. :)

I have had two DVD recorders, and with the one with a hard drive it never seemed to record well off a direct input, always had to put on hard drive first then onto DVD, also the lowest quality never seemed to work onto DVD, think there were 4 qualities top three worked OK.

Now I use a USB device and connect the VCR to computer very rare do I use DVD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back