recording freeview with dvd recorder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone advise me on how to record freeview channels with my dvd recorder with hdd.
i have a mustek r580 dvd with hard drive connected to a bt freeview box and television.i'm more or less sure i have it wired up correctly at the back using 3 scart leads,as ive checked with numerous people and the mustek helpline.
my problem is that when i record freeview channels through the scart setting of the dvd recorder (as instructed by mustek helpline) the picture is all blurred and distorted,the sound is ok.
it is ok recording normal analogue channels and ok recording from an external source like a camcorder,my problem is only on freeview.
freeview is tuned in perfectly well on av2 ,and analogue programmes through the dvd recorder on av1.the scart sockets on the tele are marked av1 and av2,on the freeview box they are marked aux and tv,and on the recorder 'scart in' and 'scart out'. cheers

Sponsored Links
I have a set up as follows (I don't have a DVD recorder, but do record stuff off freeview onto VHS).

My aerial feed goes into the freeview, and out to the vcr, then on to the tv.

A scart lead connects from the tv to the freeview and from freeview to the VCR.

Have you checked all scart leads are FULLY home? I often encounter odd transmission problems when my little br I mean darlings have dislodged a scart slightly.

Most freeview boxes have a timer system that can be set up so as to used in conjuction with timer recording. IE you set the freeview box to switch on and tune to channel 41 between 9 & 10, and the same with the VCR/DVDR.

But I just record stuff while I'm in. I do this by selecting the channel I want to record from on the freeview then choosing A1 or A2 on the VCR's tuner (the freeview output) then hitting record. Whatever the freeview box is spitting out gets burnt onto tape. However, you have to be careful not to change the freeview channel because then you change whatever is being recorded.

Recording from freeview is really handy for HOH people like me: I can record digi subtitles this way. As you may know 888 subtitles don't get captured on VT.

what is the advantage of a scart lead over triple phono connectors? Apart from command functions, i can see no other reason for them. You get the same picture quality with a phono connector. Scart leads are unreliable (often just "fall out" of their hole or the solder starts weakening) and bulky and hard to feed through that small hole at the back of the video cabinet ;)

Unless you have hi-tec equipment that sends and recieves component colour via scart, you might as well use phono plugs. Im sure someone will come up with a reason ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back