Vibrating sound in house when wind blows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the UK. We currently have had strong winds for 2 days now. But even in normal wind conditions this issue is present.
There is a weird vibrating sound.

Some videos I filmed recording it. Phone mic's aren't the best so it actually sounds louder IRL and clearer with clear fairly rapid vibrating sound.
Please turn your volume WAYYYY up and note that it can be heard better in the second video:

What could this be?
Second video I filmed while doing a poop so that's why I am pointing the camera at the floor.

This seems to be coming from the AROUND the backwards facing room which is my half brother's room which he keeps locked so I have no access. My dad tried thinking of what the issue could be and he doesn't know.
Below my room is the garage but ear to floor and the sound certainly isn't from the garage.
It is on upper floor only.
2 level house. Ground floor and floor 1. Above floor 1 is the attic, which, this being the UK, is mostly NOT floored over with wooden boards. It is just a empty attic or loft whatever you wanna call it, with suitcases, junk and LOTS of dirt in there and ofc the insulation that goes over the ceiling.
Can't really hear it that well in the attic.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We had a problem with a vibrating sound coming through our windows and it turned out to be poorly sealed trims around the windows. Different noise to yours though - it sounded like someone blowing a kazoo!

Last edited:
How old is the house and what is it constructed of.

Does your toilet soil vent have a cowl, sounds like it’s coming from soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
Does your toilet soil vent have a cowl, sounds like it’s coming from soil pipe.
I don't know what that is. Nor where it is. It sounds like something like a board/pipe vibrating. It is most audible in video 2 which is the toilet video at 17 seconds in. But you ideally need headphones and a phone or PC speakers and the ability for them to go REALLY loud. Volume has to be wayyyy up. Also it is just as audible and loud in the walking area between the rooms/toilets. It just wasn't in that one video I filmed in the walking area. What is the walking area called?

How old is the house and what is it constructed of.
I have no idea and bricks I guess? I know nothing about home construction. Outside are red bricks if that helps. How do I find out how old it is without the deed of the house? My parents are abusive so I won't ask them for the deed. Even asking something as mundane as that will result in abuse.

I have no idea and bricks I guess? I know nothing about home construction. Outside are red bricks if that helps. How do I find out how old it is without the deed of the house? My parents are abusive so I won't ask them for the deed. Even asking something as mundane as that will result in abuse.
You need to speak to someone. NO-ONE should suffer living with any abuse of any kind.
What age are you? Are you still a 'minor'?
First point of call, speak to your GP but ensure it is done in confidentiality.
If you're a child (under 18) then you can start with Child-line.

As for the sound, I was going to suggest tv aerial etc but having listened to it, it sounds more like a loose panel or sheet of some sort.
It's going to be difficult to resolve without full and free access to the whole of the property. I'd suggest walk around and see where it gets louder. Open doors, walk towards windows, pop your head up into the loft.
Are you attached to another property as a semi or a terrace? It could be coming through from next door.

You need to speak to someone. NO-ONE should suffer living with any abuse of any kind.
What age are you? Are you still a 'minor'?
First point of call, speak to your GP but ensure it is done in confidentiality.
If you're a child (under 18) then you can start with Child-line.
35 years old. Spoken to just about everyone you can imagine. No evidence no conviction. No income, have health issues, it's all very long and complicated. The justice system don't care about men anyway. All the domestic abuse booklets they give for example are all for females. Written as such.
Been abused for as long as I can remember. Meaning that it has been lifelong. Made homeless by my parents, aka abusers, multiple times. They legally can as they own the properties.

Not everything has a solution nor a happy ending. You should watch the movie ''Grave of the fireflies'. It's a studio ghibli movie.

As for the sound, I was going to suggest tv aerial etc but having listened to it, it sounds more like a loose panel or sheet of some sort.
It's going to be difficult to resolve without full and free access to the whole of the property. I'd suggest walk around and see where it gets louder. Open doors, walk towards windows, pop your head up into the loft.
Are you attached to another property as a semi or a terrace? It could be coming through from next door.
Yeah it does sound like a sheet doesn't it? I thought that or some pipes. I cannot access my half brothers room. My parents recently put locks on his and their rooms at the request of my half brother and his real mum, aka my step mum.

As I said I cannot really hear it in the loft.

Semi detached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back