Vicrorian wall corner repair

Sponsored Links
Well you've shown your remarkable ignorance yet again - surprise surprise, Hygroscopic chemicals dont start in the plaster - the chemicals begin in the chimney flue and continue being produced no matter how much plaster hacking off is done.

By the way, if no plaster board then which of these would you choose - gypsum - sand and cement - sand and cement and lime - sand and lime?
I didn’t say hygroscopic salts start in plaster.
chimney flue chemicals have nothing to do with hygroscopic salt.
I’d use plasterboard.
Being as your’e an expert on lime plaster please advise the op on mixing techniques , ratios and application because the painters are due.

you misunderstand me. i'm not talking about the corner damage but the contamination damage that can clearly be seen further back and lower down on the side wall and on the back wall.
Perhaps you dont realise it but you have been given pro advice!
been here before and just as argumentative tel765

Sponsored Links
First off i would cancel the painter if you cant do that then get him to paint the rest of the room and leave the corner for later, i wouldent cover that with board it would decay rather quickly espec fitting it with gripfill i would treat the wall and replaster and i would use a bullnose finish as that is what is on there or was on there, is there a matching corner on the other side of the fire? place?

Last edited:
Hi.
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments. Cancel the painter!? Are you going to tell her?!
The painter has been. Bless him he chucked a bag of easyfill into that wall and painted it! never had the conversation about repairing it as I was keeping out of it so this repair will have to wait as she doesn't want the paint touching now it's on.
If anyone is still alive when it gets redone I'll post up what we did!
On with the next problem but I'll start a new post.

Hi.
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments. Cancel the painter!? Are you going to tell her?!
The painter has been. Bless him he chucked a bag of easyfill into that wall and painted it! never had the conversation about repairing it as I was keeping out of it so this repair will have to wait as she doesn't want the paint touching now it's on.
If anyone is still alive when it gets redone I'll post up what we did!
On with the next problem but I'll start a new post.
I also said if you cant cancel leave the corner for later i also expect you will still be alive when the easifill fails "EDIT"can we see pics of finished job?

I also said if you cant cancel leave the corner for later i also expect you will still be alive when the easifill fails "EDIT"can we see pics of finished job?
It's only going to take a few minutes to knock the filler out and get back to brick so I'm not too worried.
I could post some pictures but I feel like I'm doing the painter a dis-service when he just patched it up to try and help and everyone starts laughing! It's not pretty and probably won't last but the room is painted ready for xmas and the nags have stopped so I am moving on for now.
I think a bull nose finish would look nice when redone also.

what you want to see it for? you’ve already pulled holes in it because he didn’t bow to your superiority? And you haven’t even seen it.

It's only going to take a few minutes to knock the filler out and get back to brick so I'm not too worried.
I could post some pictures but I feel like I'm doing the painter a dis-service when he just patched it up to try and help and everyone starts laughing! It's not pretty and probably won't last but the room is painted ready for xmas and the nags have stopped so I am moving on for now.
I think a bull nose finish would look nice when redone also.
Don’t waste your time taking photos fella, they just want to pick holes in it. It’s good enough for you and your mrs and good enough for xmas , so fuk em.(y)

As a decorator, I can sort the corner out. I would use 2 pack filler so that it was "knock proof". I would guestimate 3 hours for the repair. It may be cheaper to repair it yourself though.

It is a time consuming process that starts with sanding the area, then sealing it prior to using the two pack. Once the two pack is sanded it will need more filling and sanding.

Edit----- easifill is really, really soft. I seldom use it for that reason. And yes, I am aware that it has become the filler of choice for certain types of decorators...

Edit #2------ I have only just read some of the later comments. The Easifill will be fine so long as it never takes a knock. Happy Crimbo.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back