Victorian foundations: is their any point fixing the brickwork in this cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Cellar of Midterrace Victorian (likely 1905 ish), not used for anything at all (currently empty) other than hosting the electric board and meter. We're having the front repointed, should we seize the opportunity to repoint the cellar too?

One guy said he could render + put insulation, I did not see much point however I'm considering pushing for proper repointing between the bricks?

Is there any risk of not repointing? What would you do to ensure this remains safe and sound?

Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Cellar of Midterrace Victorian (likely 1905 ish), not used for anything at all (currently empty) other than hosting the electric board and meter. We're having the front repointed, should we seize the opportunity to repoint the cellar too?

One guy said he could render + put insulation, I did not see much point however I'm considering pushing for proper repointing between the bricks?

Is there any risk of not repointing? What would you do to ensure this remains safe and sound?

View attachment 314456View attachment 314457View attachment 314458
Thanks!
There's not a lot you can do with below ground structures that are successful, unless you spend many thousands £££££.

Repointing would be pointless. It's indoors.

I'm no expert, but I would think that adding cement based pointing or render will only cause problems, and lime pointing or render would be more expensive to have done than would be worthwhile to make a cellar look slightly prettier.
Btw, is the front of the house built using lime or cement based mortar?

I'm no expert, but I would think that adding cement based pointing or render will only cause problems, and lime pointing or render would be more expensive to have done than would be worthwhile to make a cellar look slightly prettier.
Btw, is the front of the house built using lime or cement based mortar?
It's more to do with the soil contamination, and the fact that it's too aggressive to hold back.
Modern tanking and fabric barriers can work, but cost many thousands.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back