Victorian Hall Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Board!

Our end of terrace hallway floor is begging to collapse a bit. Partly because i think an old pipe trench leading to another room has collapsed underneath it and mostly because of old age. The origianl tiling is still there, it's all coming up and cracking.

The original flooring, it's ash and lime I think?, is still there.

We were planning on replacing it with an insulated floor and screed, then tiling on top.

I got a quote the other day; it's probably reasonable although now i think i could do it myself.

Is it just a case of digging out, laying down and tamping sand, DPM, 100mm or more of foam, and then mixing screed and putting it on top? We can do that, right?

The area is perhaps less than 10m2, bit of a 't' shape, with the stairs and end of terrace wall.

I've not done anything quite this size before - last year i insulated the front room floor with 150m Celotex inbetween the joists with a new chipboard floor on top. This is a bigger job and there's lots of waste to remove; other than that, are there any real technical issues? Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
The hallway radiator is surface mounted pipwork from the ceiling. Can I chase pipework in to the wall and under the floor and screed over it? Should I cap over it like the electrical cables chased in to the walls?

I'm not sure they're technically encaustic, but they are on top of what i see as the original flooring. They're not ornately geometrically laid out or anything. They're plain squares set in diamonds along the hallway length. I don't know what tiling we will put back down, but it won't be these original tiles.

Sponsored Links
Yes, my mom and dad threw away about 30m2 of Minton originals a few years ago. No one wanted them that we could find. They were beautiful blues and reds and inky blacks. Ours are 5" squares so not so fancy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back