Victorian House 5 Bedrooms 2 Bathrooms Cloakroom Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just after some help please. I am looking at replacing my current heating system in my house, the following is an idea of the scale of my house:-

5 double bedrooms
2 bathrooms
Cloakroom Toilet
Living Room
Dining Room
Kitchen
Play room
Hall

The House at the moment does not have the second bathroom but will soon, but dont think the pressure is there or the heat required as at the moment when I run a half bath, I get no more hot water for approx 1 hour, also the shower is a pressure shower and pulses, which I guess again is maybe to to the pressure, I thought of raising the header tank to get an extra meter pressure (as thats all I can raise it), but dont think this will cure. I currently have a hot water tank and an Ideal Boiler (or not so Ideal). This was in when I bought the house. I have approx 15 radiators (13 of them are double). I was looking at the Worcester boiler Greenstar 42cdi Combi, but open to sugestion as I am in a position to get the right system as the house is upside down at the moment. Also its a three storey house.

As you can tell I am not a plumber, so need some advice before going out and getting a friend of a friend to fit :)

Thank you in Advance

Steven

Sponsored Links
I think you would b pushing your luck installing a combi with 2 baths in this size house.

The only one that may just cope would be the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937 storage combi.

I would suggest a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 630 or 637, with a Unistor 210 or 260 if your hot water demand is very high.

From the sounds of it your house is greater than 1500ft2 so it will have be be split into at least 2 zones, usually upstairs and downstairs plus the dhw.

What ever you decide, all of the above will need at least 3 bar incoming cold mains pressure and around 20 l/min flow rate to get full benefit from your installation.

Cheers gas4you!!!

Does it make a diff if the second bathroom is just an Electric shower and has two sinks?

I have a main bathroom which is Bathroom 1 and Bathroom 2 is the above elec shower.

Cheers again.

Steven

Using an electric shower will reduce the demand off the combi, but you need to realise that no combi will run 2 baths at the same time.

If you are happy with this situation then go for a combi, otherwise the unvented cylinder option will be best.

Also think of the resale factor when deciding.

Sponsored Links
Again thank you for the info its much appreciated.

So just to clarify,

Bathroom 1 = Bath - sink
Bathroom 2 = Elec Shower - 2 sink

Should be OK with Combi?

TBH its all about the £, I dont have an blank cheque, But I dont want to cut corners. The Worcester 42 was approx £1100 and apparently that would do the job, But I have a growing family with like I said a few bedrooms and people come to stay so I need my family to be warm on demand and have Hot water on Demand.

The Combi (Ideal) I have at the moe also have a Cylinder which aint to big and I would of thought that with the Ideal and the Cylinder at the moment only having one Bathroom would give me some hotwater, enough for at least a full hot bath without the second and even with half of my radiators turned off.

Again all your info is much appreciated so if it was you and now you have my full scenario, just to finish this what would you recommend.

Sorry to ask of this again, but me and my Dad really appreciate the information.

Cheers

Steven

Steven - I've never really understood the philosophy of fitting a combi unless, for example, space is tight; we only fit them in our flat/apartment conversions. If you've got the space get a 'conventional' boiler and a very, very large HW cylinder; if you can't increase pressures, then pump where needed.

Another bathroom will result in heavy demands for HW so go for something 'future proof' and with plenty of grunt - not sure a combi meets the bill. I'm sure others here might hold other views.

Finally, I'd be tempted, as a first step to try to cure what's wrong with your present set-up. The design of the system may be sh** so hooking on a new boiler (whatever sort) my not improve matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back