Victorian single skin two storey addition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Son is trying to buy a Victorian property with a single brick skin, double storey rear addition. The mortgage company is waffling on about the stability of said addition. I can see that there are heat losses associated with it, which we could cure with dry lining, but as the rear addition has been up for 130 years and the whole street is full of them, I reckon they are stable enough.
Any one with experience in this area? , has your rear addition fallen down?
Frank

Sponsored Links
You will not solve or satisfy heat loss regulations, in a half brick thick structure, by dry lining.

What specifically are the lenders bothered about in terms of stability?

Roof spread, wind loading, foundations, buttressing, arching...???

What type of roof is covering the extension?

A single brick thick wall (230mm) would not be unstable and would be typical of any Victorian house, not not really an issue

Heat loss would not come in to a lenders consideration

If there are no signs of movement or ongoing movement, then I can't see why a lender would be concerned

Can you clarify whether it is a half brick thick or a full brick thick structure?

110mm or 230mm.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back