Victorian skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm really struggling with a project to redecorate our old house. The paint work in all the house is pretty shocking. Years of badly painted skirting boards which are now chipped and lumpy. I stripped paint off with a heat gun as it was layers and layers of paint and varnish. I have tried to use nitromors both craftsman (yellow tin) and the green tin without much success. Currently I'm sanding but it's clogging up quickly and the finish is very patchy where it's been stained. I really wanted to have a natural look and not paint can anyone suggest anything to make life easier and get a more even finish???

Sponsored Links
Victorian boards if original will contain lead paint, bad move burning off. Abrading wont be a problem as it will have had fresh coats but still at least wear a mask.

Nitromors is a waste of time since the new regs.

I am surprised at the amount of people that feel the need to remove paint, as a pro i can't remember the last time i stripped anything internally. Solution is good prep including elbow grease with a good hard rub down and filling knocks, splits and dents and in some cases sugar soaping.

The most simple solution is to replace them if they are really bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back