Victorian style Garden lamp mains connection query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had recently bought a replacement Victorian Style Mains Lamp(old one broke when a small tree fell on it).
Instruction manual's electrical connection diagram is very dark and difficult to make out.
But it has an Earth wire coming from top of the unit and there is another earth wire attached to a screw in the base of the unit.
Feeding wire comes from underground and has got a Live+Neutral+Earth wires.
It looks like a simple Live to Live/Neutral to Neutral/Earth to Earth connection is all it needs.But the circuit trips when I do it.
Not sure how the earth wire at base needs to be connected.
Please help

Sponsored Links
Disconnect it and put the ends in an insulated terminal block.
Does the circuit still trip?
If yes then you have a wiring fault. If it doesn't trip then the light is faulty.
Where did you buy it, was it new?

Sponsored Links
one earth proberly goes direct to the lampholder or top of unit, then a second supplementary earth goes to the main post body, both would connect together with your supply earth, usually coloured green/yellow

one earth proberly goes direct to the lampholder or top of unit, then a second supplementary earth goes to the main post body, both would connect together with your supply earth, usually coloured green/yellow
Thats what I did-connected earth from the lamp and earth from the body(base) to supply earth.Lamp comes on for few seconds and then fuse trips.

If the breaker does not trip when the light is not connected then there is either something wrong with the light or something wrong with they way you have connected it.

If it does trip with the light not wired in then there's something wrong with the cable to the light.

What sort of cable is it?

Does it run underground?

Did you buy the light from a Chinese seller on eBay or Amazon with the main criterion being price?

Hi
here are some pictures,if that helps.
I must admit it was bought off Amazon but it is IP44 and CE marked
A and B shows how i connected it,but it trips the fuse.C with the earth wire from the base loose,but it trips as well
AA is the wiring diagram I made of how wires lay.
Please advice as to how to connect them properly.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 200
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 174
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 195
  • AA.JPG
    AA.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 168
Have you removed cover off circular junction box? Maybe something strange happening in there. Turn power off at circuit breaker first as may be a loose wire somewhere.

Have you removed cover off circular junction box? Maybe something strange happening in there. Turn power off at circuit breaker first as may be a loose wire somewhere.
I have taken out the wires out from the junction box and the ends are now seen outside connected

Last edited:
The light fittings connector block is supposed to be in the black plastic enclosure inside the base of the light, a short length of suitable flexible cable should then have been used to connect into the round junction box with a suitable gland, or that rubber grommet that is now on the floor. The internal wiring on that light fitting looks rather long considering how far up the fitting the lights connector was. Has the lights internal wiring been pulled to try to make it reach the round junction box, possibly disturbing the connections to the lamp holder, or damaging the insulation?

Is it an MCB that is tripping or an RCD?

Maybe it's best to go back to basics and disconnect all wiring from the underground supply so the cable is not attached to the wires in the grey JB anymore. Make the supply safe.

If tripping still occurs, it is a fault with the supply. If not, as Ban says, there is a problem with the fitting (or possibly the grey junction box between the supply cable and the fitting.

okay,will re-do the connections once more.
Coming to my initial query-the earth wires from the top of the lamp and the earth wire from the base(body) where do I need to connect them.
Shall I go ahead and re-do connections like this pic??

Attachments

• BB.JPG
    BB.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 162
Coming to my initial query-the earth wires from the top of the lamp and the earth wire from the base(body) where do I need to connect them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back