victorian tiles on plyboard hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm planning to tile the entrance hall with small Victorian style tiles.

There has been installed a new floor to the hall as it collapsed before we bought the house.

It has new floor joists with noggins every 40cm and is lined with 18mm marine ply.

The question is do I need to put a primer of any sort on the ply so that the tile adhesive sticks to it properly?

Does any tiller suggest laying a matting down similar to the Ditra matting?

What about SBR bonding?

I welcome any advise

cheers

J

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
No need for matting, that is to protect against lateral movement and wont help with bounce.

As long as the bounce in the floor has been minimised then you can fix them using a single part flexible adhesive straight onto the ply and then grout with a flexi grout.

18mm ply sounds a little on the thin side if its direct onto joists - especially at 40cm centres.

with tpt

your hall will have heavy traffic coming and going so look into using min 25mm wbp ply ect

your wbp/marine ply will need primed underside and edges before fixing down

for primer ect some adhesive mfr will say yes...some say no..

so depends on what one you use ect..

i usual seal the face with sbr/acrylic primer this will..two fold..helps bonding off addy and helps with any dust ect sealed into the ply..but i havent used wbp ply for long time,some off the carp out there is a joke..

why do I need to prime the underside?I'm not sticking anything to the underside.

there is only 18mm down and cant really afford to higher it anymore as the tile would then stand proud in relation to the other flooring. noggins are spaced at 30mm and I the joists are at 35mm.

I think I will have to stick to 18mm. The joists are 8x2 timber and there seams to be very minimal bounce when I 've jumped up and down on the floor.

Cheers for the advice anyhow

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back