Victorian tiles problem

L

longdogs

Hi all.

I have just moved into a Victorian house and need to sort out a damp problem in the lobby. Hopefully you can see from the pic that there is damp rising up through the floor which has stained and waterlogged the original Victorian tiles. I think the area has stone foundations, filled with hardcore and a layer of sand.

DSC00774.JPG

I have been advised by a surveyor that the tiles need to come up so that I can remove some of the sand underneath and lay a waterproof membrane, then re-tile onto a waterproof board.

Obviously I would prefer to keep the original tiles if possible but don't mind laying new tiles if necessary.

What do you think my chances are of being able to re-use the tiles once they have been disturbed? And, is there a way of cleaning them to remove the salt staining?

I have done plenty of floor tiling but this type of sandy base is all new to me so I would be grateful for any advice on either the tiles or perhaps easier ways to carry out the damp proofing.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Pics of the full extent of the lobby, and pics of the entrance way/threshold/step into the lobby, and pics of the outside wall at ground level would help?
What condition is the oversite in the adjoining rooms - wet or dry?

If moisture is penetrating the tile then its possibly rising into the lobby walls and skirting but your walls and skirting (the moulding has an original section) appear to be in good condition. Was any damp work done in this area before you moved in?

The perimeter tiles probably go under the skirting.
Lifting the tiles and gently breaking the cementitious grout should be possible.
Each tile would have to be individually cleaned after a lengthy soaking.
Badly faded tile would be your choice to - stay original or replace?
heritagetiles.co.uk do wonderful but expensive Victorian tile. They also could advise on any possible & appropriate tile cleaner.

Given the floor looks stained by salt/water marks but its lasted 100 yrs+ so, if its firmly fixed, could it be left?

Digging out and using a DPM would be straightforward.

I presume that this is not a mortgage retention?

Thanks ree.

No it's not a mortgage requirement. We moved in knowing there were a few problems but wish to sort out the basics before decorating. The walls in the lobby have slight moisture but not too bad. Where the lobby connects with the hall (threshold) there is a small damp area on the floorboards (about an inch by three inches. I believe the cause of the damp is that the floor tiles outside the front door are cracked and with cement missing, so when it rains the water just soaks under the door step. Obviously I need to put that right too.

I would love to leave them where they are but I understand that even if I prevented any further water from getting in, the sand underneath would still not dry.

As you say, there are some fantastic replacements around but they are very expensive. I will have a look at your link though for cleaner etc

thanks

Male sure you read SPAB's damp advice.
https://www.spab.org.uk/advice/technical-qas/technical-qa-20-rising-damp/
If you put a membrane underneath it will push the water elsewhere I would have thought. Stope the water getting in. If the water if coming through the tiles it will eventually dry out. I would try cleaning first. Basically if they have last that long they should be fine. I would guess the salts etc were caused by being buired under plastic underlay carpet etc for many years meaning that the little bit of damp couldn't evaporate.

Sponsored Links
Male sure you read SPAB's damp advice.
https://www.spab.org.uk/advice/technical-qas/technical-qa-20-rising-damp/
If you put a membrane underneath it will push the water elsewhere I would have thought. Stope the water getting in. If the water if coming through the tiles it will eventually dry out. I would try cleaning first. Basically if they have last that long they should be fine. I would guess the salts etc were caused by being buired under plastic underlay carpet etc for many years meaning that the little bit of damp couldn't evaporate.
thanks. I will have a read of the link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back