Video Of Flatroof - Comments Welcome

Sponsored Links
Not as flat as it should be but if water runs off and no damage then it will be fine until you get it replaced next time.
Will last 20+ years easy.
Go for fiberglass roof next time maybe.

OP,
The roof is an amateurish construction with built-in faults from the first day of construction.
Where pitched roofs meet flat roofs always needs special consideration.
Very little consideration went into your roofs abutment.
Joisting has failed ie. the ponding hollows, or it was never there?
There are other faults, and the flat roof is probably leaking - so called flat roof repairs usually dont work for long so its time for a new roof.
Depending on dimensions and cost then maybe an intersecting pitched roof would work?

Sponsored Links
Let's hope the rest of the house is not amateurish construction . You gotta love the Californian doom monger :rolleyes:

Let's hope the rest of the house is not amateurish construction . You gotta love the Californian doom monger :rolleyes:
California, like the rest of the US, predominately uses roofing felt shingles on its pitch roofs rather than concrete tiles or slates. I would tend to call that a bit amateurish!
This of course means that roofing timbers can be lighter because of the shigles' low weight, but windy conditions routinely blow shingles off, and roofs need replacing every 15 years or so.

OP here. Thank you for all the comments. Some more info.

The flat roof originally covered a full length garage. Then some year before I purchased the bungalow in 2016, the garage was converted into a half garage. The flat roof depressions are above the half converted into a living space. As someone mentioned in this thread, the cold roof above this living space was not vented when it was converted. Not sure if the depressions are the result of condensation inside the roof or the weight of run off from the pitched roof. Possibly a combination of both. However, so far the roof has not failed and there is no water leaking inside the property or porch. Posting the video was my first look at the roof so I intend to have some work done to prevent any future problems. Might also have some additional guttering added. The property is on the south coast of England (IOW), so wet windy gales during the Winter, warm to hot humid Summers. It was built in 1970 and is one of 20 bungalows of similar construction along this part of the road with the same pitched / flat roof combination. There is another matching bungalow along the road that had the entire garage converted to living space but I see no venting added to its flat roof. Pitched roof is in good condition. I've had roof repairs on a previous property. Pitched timbers here still look in as new condition despite frequent gales. Tricky part is finding the equivalent of a Fred Dibnah of flat roofs and not some cowboy chancer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back