Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post so I apologise if this has been discussed. I have looked. Also apologise for very long post! I’ll be amazed if anyone actually reads this let alone answers the questions but it’s worth a shot! …
We had a Viessmann 222-f fitted to our conversion house. It’s an old brick church and we’ve kept the ceilings open and high (6m) at each end of the building and put 1st floor in the middle. The boiler 32kw version - was fitted by a non Viessmann engineer (now in hindsight not recommended for many reasons!). We have weather compensation thermostat outside. Turned out that this boiler was inadequate, and it’s pump is inadequate and the pipes were inadequate diameter and no first floor rads worked. The ground floor rads also didn’t work at the far end from boiler. The rads that didn’t work on ground floor were fed from drop downs from first floor. We also got a plumber not a heating engineer to fit our system. He didn’t recommend the Viessmann - that was recommended by a relative who used to work for Viessmann. Plumber actually recommended 2 boilers. (This info more for those who might have a similar issue). We’ve since put a grundfos external pump fitted with a low loss header from the Viessmann and put 28mm copper pipe from boiler instead of the original 22mm. and now had another (Baxi) boiler fitted for first floor with a Hive thermostat. The drop downs have now been sealed off at ground floor level. My 3 main questions are : will the dead water in the 8 drop downs affect the heating (presumably just first floor now)?
Also how is it best to set the heating curve which still confuses me however many videos I watch!
Viessmann customer service is dire (one reason I wouldn’t choose Viessmann in hindsight). Ps our place is as insulated as we can make it… thick insulation in ceiling and walls. Walls are (from outside) ..single skin brick, cavity, double skin brick, cavity. 2 layers of Superquilt attached to stud wall. All windows are new double glazed. Ground floor heating will go up to height so we’ll probably not have both boilers on at the same time that often but at least now all ground floor rads work!
Last question (sorry for long post) - the plumber only put plug on the external pump and didn’t (couldn’t) wire it to the boiler. We have the Viessmann circuit board so now we need an electrician who can wire the bloody thing. We also have a bronze pump fitted to the boiler for the water supply. Presumably the external (heating) pump and the bronze pump should be wired to the circuit board so the pumps work when the water is needed and the heating is turned on. There is a day to day timer for the water pump which will turn on the bronze pump when the timer is ‘on’. Can this timer set up be bypassed and left to off so the bronze pump only works when the hot water is turned on?
Now because of energy costs we turn on water when needed with a shortcut ‘I need hot water’ rather than have set times for it. So really in hindsight once more I feel that 2 straight forward combi boilers (one still with external heating pump (17 rads on ground floor - 11 of them column rads - the rest double panel standard rads). 1st floor has 11 double panel standard rads). Is there a case for not doing the ‘I want hot water’ .. thing and having set times for it? We are only a couple here most of the time with erratic sleeping hours but mainly work from home. . Any advice on any of this would be very gratefully received. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Where are you in the country, there may be people that can be recommended who are fully conversant with Viessmann.

You have no underfloor in a church? That's going to be tough to heat with high ceilings. I have a chapel and would not get rid of a perfect parquet floor to lay underfloor which is really the best option so have fan convectors and a de-stratification fan so know of what I write.

Thanks for your response. We’re in County Durham. Yes - no underfloor. That was a bone of contention at the beginning of the conversion. Now I’m quite happy as energy costs are so ridiculous, it seems that underfloor is only really efficient if it is on 24/7. I may well be wrong on that fact. Also the whole subfloor is timber on a sloping site. Our builder is a bit set in his ways (father in law)! I looked into reverse ceiling fans but advised they are near to useless. Pulling heat from ceiling to floor via bathroom style fans enclosed in pipework is on my mind!

Destrat fans work. If on Facebook search for a Viessmann group for a referral or call Viessmannn themselves, I know of nobody in the area I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
I hadn’t thought of Facebook. Thank you. I’ll look at Destrat fans. Tbh I’ve never heard of them!

Do you mind me asking if you have an exposed ceiling fan or the type in an enclosed unit and how high your ceilings are?

Do you mind me asking if you have an exposed ceiling fan or the type in an enclosed unit and how high your ceilings are?

Exposed, I ordered it in a colour. The height is 8 metres. It runs on speed 2 of 5

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_160023.jpg
    IMG_20230610_160023.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 41
Hi - sorry to ask you one more question.! Even though I’ve looked into cooling fans (exposed blades) on reverse - and told by a fan company that 6 m is too high, no one has ever mentioned destratification fans.! You are the only person who’s mentioned them. Even the heating engineer who came to assess our system before we changed it - never mentioned them either. Did you look into destrat open blade fans and Would you recommend any particular company? Thank you and thanks for making me aware of these.

I have used open blades on one job, an assembly unit not even 6 metres and I think they worked, I wasn’t called back (30 plus years ago).

Destrat fans were recommended to me, I did a bit of research and went for it. Not cheap, I think £1500 pounds but I can confirm.

I could have mounted them lower of course but wanted to hide as much as possible. They’re much more forceful and I have a completely uninsulated roof so wanted to move as much heat from the apex as possible.

Underfloor is immeasurably superior but I would not ruin a perfect 100 year parquet floor then to relay laminate (even if I could have afforded it).

The chapel is the lounge for when the family come round otherwise not used when heating is required, for two weeks over Christmas and a birthday, it’s just a luxury item bill and an occasionally unfortunate CO2 blip.

Thanks so much for your time in replying. I very much appreciate the information .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back