Viewing photographs from data disc on television

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me how I can view my photo's I have stored on a DVD, I have tried running it on my DVD player but it comes up with disc not compatible or corrupt. I copied all my photo's to disc hoping I could do a picture show for my family but it does not want to play. Would be grateful for any advise on the subject.

Sponsored Links
Can someone tell me how I can view my photo's I have stored on a DVD, I have tried running it on my DVD player but it comes up with disc not compatible or corrupt. I copied all my photo's to disc hoping I could do a picture show for my family but it does not want to play. Would be grateful for any advise on the subject.

Sadly recordable DVDs can fail after a few months unless you use absolutely top of the range ones.

Hope you still have the original photos.

Format the disc as a video disk then copy the photos to it. Alternatively, does your TV have a VGA input, if so, connect the computer direct. Also, modern TV's have a wifi modem and your computer should find it if you list your available networks, you can then send your pictures direct to the TV.

Not all disk types work on all players. theres a +/- thing at some re-recordable.
Read the instructions for your dvd player & check it can read the disk type you are using.

Sponsored Links
All the answers above are essentially correct, but they give fragments of solutions.

You have given a little information but not the complete story about how the disc was created. If it was generated on a computer then the disc will either contain raw data that needs a PC to read it, or you might have used an authoring package that creates DVD compatible files..... but we don't know because you didn't say.

If just data files then the disc should still read in a PC presuming of course that it was mastered correctly, and it's not damaged or degraded. If you used a DVD authoring package, then providing the disc format matches what the DVD player under the TV can use, and you authored the disc in a compatible format (photo format, photo image size, disc format), and finalised it, and it's not damaged or degraded, then it should work. Phew... what a lot of ducks to get lined up in a row!!

Perhaps if you came back on and gave some detail of what you did, the gear you used, the disc make and how you actually went about checking all before committing to the burn then it would be possible for us here to help you shed some light on the issue. :)

Lucid all I can tell you is I burnt the jpeg pictures from my hard drive on my computer to disc using a Maxell DVD+R Data video. In the properties of the disc it has been burnt as UDF File. My equipment I am trying to run the disc on is a Sony PDR DC200 DVD recorder/player. the television is a Sony KDL 32W8510. When I try to run it comes up with incompatible or unreadable disc. That's all I can tell you with my limited knowledge of this type of thing. Hope this helps

Look at the dvd player instructions & will tell you what discs it can play/read. My Sony instructions do, that will eliminate one possible problem.

Diyisfun I have had a look and among many confusing cans and cants in the Cant list is does state that it will not play Photo cd's. I presume this would include this dvd I Have burnt

As it would appear that I will not be able to show pictures off a disc, what other way can I run a show apart from dragging my pc downstairs and connecting it to the telly as a monitor

the television is a Sony KDL 32W8510

That specific model doesn't come up on a Google search or via Sony. There is the KDL-W850 series which is pretty recent. You might want to check the model again.

If the TV is a recent model then it's very likely to has a USB port. This looks like a squared-off version of HDMI. Check your user manual (or d/load a fresh copy from the Sony web site) and read up about USB.

The USB port will take a USB memory stick. You can put your photos directly on to that by connecting the stick to your PC's USB port. Once the files are transferred, then move the stick to the TV and play them off there. That's much simpler.

USB memory sticks are cheap. 16Gb memory sticks are less that £5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back