Views on large rain water harvesting systems

Sponsored Links
Vaguely brings back some dark memories of one of my MBA classes I wasn't paying attention to.

Are you a hedge fund manager?! You don't sound like a builder. Lol.
I'm just a well-worn DIYer. Well worn from when holes in masony for rawlplugs were made with a rawlplug tool, (when the tips broke, they were potential missiles) and holes in timber were made with a swing brace, an auger or a hand drill.

My Systems Behaviour/Change Management training comes from an OU degree, (over 30 years ago now) which greatly assisted my carreer, from which I retired over 10 years ago.
One of the benefits of an OU degree is when you fall asleep, the teaching pauses and waits for you to wake up!

Can I please have some views from builders and home users on their experience or use of a large (1500+ litres) rain water harvesting system?

I have a fairly large house (project) with 5 or so bathrooms and am on a water meter. Rough cost of water in and out as waste is approx 1.4p per litre I am told. As I also have a very large garden and roof, Was thinking of using the water to feed the toilet cisterns in the house. Cost of materials maybe £2500 plus labour but I'm gutting the whole house anyway.

Aside from pump maintenance issues and colour of water, are there any other issues worth considering? Alternative is a bore hole at maybe £7k cost.

Thx.

A high quality Harlequin 2100 Litre Single Skin Tank costs £550 quid.
A Clarke BPT1200SS 1” Stainless Steel Booster Pump which includes filter costs £215 quid.

Job Done.

If you wanted a higher spec pump then use something like a Dab Jet-Euro with active drive invertor for £430 quid.

You will need more than 1500 litres just for flushing toilets in a 5 bedroom house. I use 1000litres in 2 weeks for 2 people in a one bathroom bungalow. I use IBC tanks (2 for £130 delivered off E=bay). All in I have over 4000 litres of storage and this does all toilets and garden use. I have a tank in the loft with a float switch that controls a pump to keep the tank full, this supplies the toilets from one IBC tank normally filled by rain, but I have a small river in my garden for dry periods. In may not be cost effective in London but in Cornwall we my around £5.00 per cubic metre (1000litres) with standing charge. Pump wise I use second hand Turner shower pumps off e=bay.

Sponsored Links
in that link above £87.30 is the standing charge which is most off the cost off your water so they must be averaging the standing charges over the average use
in other words you use 1 unit it costs you £89.30 per unit [87.30 +2]
you use 10 units it costs you £107.30 [87.30+ 20]
if you use 50 units the water now is the greater part but only just at£187 [87+100]
but the water is still only around 0.2p a L

in that link above £87.30 is the standing charge which is most off the cost off your water so they must be averaging the standing charges over the average use
in other words you use 1 unit it costs you £89.30 per unit [87.30 +2]
you use 10 units it costs you £107.30 [87.30+ 20]
if you use 50 units the water now is the greater part but only just at£187 [87+100]
but the water is still only around 0.2p a L

ok you water is slightly more at £2.073p but still as near vas damd it 0.2p aL
or less than 10p a flush

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back