Villager with built in back boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a villager stove for wood and coal that has an integrated back boiler in it that heats the hot water tank upstairs that we run radiators off. When the fire is particularly strong we would hear a gurgling and that was time to put the pump on for the radiators. It has been like this for many many years and we have been used to doing this however the other day we were not around and woke today to sodden ashes with about 1/2 bucket of water sitting in it. For now, Mum has turned the position of two bolts or the like to stop the water (I wasn't there so don't what is was she turned but she had been told in the past this is what to do in such cases) So the water has stopped leaking but would very much appreciate advice on what now ...

Long term yes Mum was going to look at another form of heating as this is the only form she has. She has no gas and lives in an area it cannot be connected up. She may be considering moving in the next few years so if we can solve this this might be enough for her without big changes.

For now, is this something that can be repaired eg .. we don't know the model for now but saw this sort of thing https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/product/vill-aibv016/ or could this have caused damage beyond replacing a part? I am assuming that the part is directly above the fire ... Had a look at it last time I was there and there is a what feels like a block above the fire with a couple of inch gap at the front which I then think goes up into the flue.

Would very much appreciate some advice please

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you have isolated it DO Not light it

No Mum wont be using it until resolved. She got up at 4am as it is still leaking but less but enough that she would have issues if she didn't get up to do it
, think she doesn't have the strength to fully stop it herself. She is trying to get someone to help her ... I don't ilve near unfortunately

Sponsored Links
As above - if she's closed isolation valves to it and she lights it, it could very well explode with fatal consequences.

Need to know which model she has. Some have replaceable back boilers, others are welded in place. Sounds like it's suffered from back-end rot due to a lack of appropriate controls

When you look at the rear of the stove where the pipes connect, if there's an iron thread with a nut tight to the stove then there's a good chance the boiler is replaceable . If not it's probably part of the stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back