Vinyl clear out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a good clear out at home and realised I had not even looked at my vinyl collection for years so decided to get rid and take advantage of the revival, probably 200 LPs from Beatles, Stones, Cream to Dire Straits & Springsteen. I don't fancy selling singly on eBay, would like to sell as job lot maybe at auction or to a dealer, has anyone done similar?

Edit- most records are well used and certainly not mint

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have piles of PC games from the 90s and was considering putting the job lot on eBay. Selling them individually is just not worth the hassle. The trouble is that collectors will not want some of what there is, and only select games, so it's a catch 22 situation.

I do find it amusing that vinyl has kept its value despite newer storage formats like VHS, CD and DVD being practically worthless. I suppose the inferior quality of newer formats and copyright issues had a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
It's a vinyl revival. Once upon a time not so long ago vinyl was worth zilch..

I do find it amusing that vinyl has kept its value despite newer storage formats like VHS, CD and DVD being practically worthless. I suppose the inferior quality of newer formats and copyright issues had a lot to do with it.

I think vinyl is retaining / increasing its value because owning and playing it is an experience, whereas the other formats aren't.
The newer formats are just variations on the throwaway lifestyle we have adopted.
The default was to listen to the whole album, because that was the simplest thing to do. Nowadays, it's all about playlists, and cherry-picking.

I think vinyl is retaining / increasing its value because owning and playing it is an experience, whereas the other formats aren't.
The newer formats are just variations on the throwaway lifestyle we have adopted.
The default was to listen to the whole album, because that was the simplest thing to do. Nowadays, it's all about playlists, and cherry-picking.

Vinyl is hardly functional for day to day use and now that music is digitised the physical copy of the music is no longer required. The way that music is consumed has changed but that does not mean it is valued any less.

I do find it amusing that vinyl has kept its value despite newer storage formats like VHS, CD and DVD being practically worthless.

The way that music is consumed has changed but that does not mean it is valued any less.

What are you trying to say?

I didn't say vinyl was functional; i said it was an experience. A simplistic view is that the experience is valued far more highly than the functionality.

I think vinyl is retaining / increasing its value because owning and playing it is an experience, whereas the other formats aren't

Vinyl is an analogue format, so the nuances in the music are retained and so the sound can be more engaging. Certainly the sound quality from a top end turntable system can be amazing, arguably better than a digital source, like CD.

Of course recording studios are now all digital so new material would originate as a digital source

What are you trying to say?

I didn't say vinyl was functional; i said it was an experience. A simplistic view is that the experience is valued far more highly than the functionality.

Ah yes the the feel of the vinyl, handling with care, even the smell of the sleeve, (Led Zep 3 had a minty odour), placing the stylus and waiting for the first notes, jumping up to move on when a deep scratch halted Willie the Pimp

Ah yes the the feel of the vinyl, handling with care, even the smell of the sleeve

Indeed...

Bring back 'scratch and sniff'!

PETER_TOSH_BUSH%2BDOCTOR%2B-%2BSCRATCH%2B%26%2BSNIFF%2BSLEEVE-161205.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back