Vinyl flooring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just had some vinyl laid in our new bathroom. The suite isn't in yet so there are just the pipes coming up through the floor and our shower tray installed.

Where the vinyl has been laid over the bath waste pipe there is a cut outwards towards the edge of the floor. Is this normal practice or should the vinyl have been laid without these cuts?

I am worried that it will mean water can escape through and under the vinyl if it's splashed onto the floor. Or am I worrying for no reason?

Would welcome a second opinion.

Cheers
David

Sponsored Links
do you mean they have cut around the pipe with a slit going from the pipe to the edge of the vinyl, if so then yes that's normal. Be no worse than the cut around the pipe anyway, glue it down with a bit of silicone or similar if you're particularly worried.

With bathroom floors, a persistent leak will find its way through somehow. If you have a major overflow, the water level will simply rise until if escapes under the skirting, or runs out through the doorway.

I have sometimes speculated about making a hole in the bathroom floor, and the ceiling below, so any EOW would run down into the kitchen sink. Might need a funnel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'll get a pic up when I get home tonight.

Interesting point regarding a runaway for water. I wanted to turn the whole bathroom into a wetroom but the Mrs put the brakes on that. :(

I do like the vinyl as it is. The finished look should work well. I just need to get the bugger back!

Having a really hard time sourcing a quality builder in South East London. I'm about to get the fifth lot in for a quote.

Mine didn't when I started, but I've always been willing to do something twice, in case I made an ass job of it while I was learning :)

Let the pro's do it this time, and watch em.. gradually take on more and more and you'll realise that you're actually pretty good by the time you're ready (mentally) to have a crack at it yourself.

Then the wife will divorce you because you just can't stop! Mine gets sick of hearing "right, I'll put it on my to do list" - she says I have too much to do already, the list will never get done. so when I suggest making the dining table she likes (it's basically a bunch of rebar welded together in a pattern under a sheet of glass) rather than giving some Italian design house a ridiculous amount of money for one of theirs, she just says "why don't I find another table I like"?

Last edited:
Any other views on the size of the boiler I will need for the above? Max 10 rads and underfloor heating in the kitchen. 1 bathroom. The EcoTec 838 looks like a good buy but if I can go smaller then I'd like to that if possible. I'd get the 832.

Cheers
David

It's not so much about the number of rads, more to do with the heat loss of the house and the usage pattern..

Mine didn't when I started, but I've always been willing to do something twice, in case I made an ass job of it while I was learning :)

Let the pro's do it this time, and watch em.. gradually take on more and more and you'll realise that you're actually pretty good by the time you're ready (mentally) to have a crack at it yourself

A familiar tale. Having the right tools is half the job. Don't be afraid to spend £200 on gear so that you don't have to pay a contractor £300 for a job that still needs £100 of materials and 4 hours work. It seems crazy early on but soon you get quicker, and suddenly have every tool you need!

It's not so much about the number of rads, more to do with the heat loss of the house and the usage pattern..
as your looking at a combi it's actually more to do with your hot water demand. I have an 832 running 9 rads and currently 1 bathroom fine. second bathroom is going into the system next week so time will tell how it copes. underfloor demand won't be massive as it runs at a much lower temp. nip over to the plumbing forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back