Vinyl laminate in bathroom. Can toilet go on top?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just redoing our bathroom. It's a modern house (1995) and the floor is T&G chipboard. It's flat, stable and level. I was going to put that waterproof vinyl planking (looks like ordinary click-together laminate planks but is made of vinyl) down, on top of suitable underlay.

I was wondering about putting it down and then screwing the toilet / sink pedestal / bidet through it and into the chipboard floor, rather than cutting all the vinyl planks round each of them.

Is that a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Should be OK I have fixed pans onto sheet vinyl without a problem.
Should it need replacing a Stanley knife will trim away the old flooring around the pan.

Thanks footprints - that'll make a big difference to the time it will take!

Assuming that the combined laminate and underlay don't change the heights of the connections?

Sponsored Links
I think I'll be OK. I'll have to re-make the connections to bath, sink and bidet anyway. Toilet waste outlet centreline is 195mm from the floor at present and new one is 188, so that helps a bit. I think I'll be able to lift the waste pipe the rest of the way.

What type of underlay do you need for the vinyl planks is it the same as normal laminate flooring

That's a good question! I bought the stuff and it arrived, but there are no instructions and there was nothing on the retailer's website to suggest what underlay I should use! I e-mailed them to ask the question, and they recommended this stuff:

https://www.directwoodflooring.co.uk/timberlay-lvt-underlay.html

which is quite expensive. I've gone with it anyway, as it's not a large percentage of the overall cost of the job, but there might be other similar things available?

If that's what they recommend no point in spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar. Apart from the cost there is a lot of time involved so why take chances.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back