Vinyl on bathroom floor.....work around furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
so ensuite walls are up, bathroom is being delivered tomorrow.
Shall i put 6mm ply down underneath all the furniture, which 'may' delay the install whilst i wait for the ply to be delivered, or shall i put the furniture in place then ply and vinyl cover up to and around the furniture.

It certainly seems easier to ply first, and to save a bit of money vinyl around the furniture, but i'm guessing the best job would be to ply and vinyl the whole of the 3sqm then put the furniture on top, and maybe run silicon around the bottom of the sink pedestal and toilet to avoid water sepping underneath?

Your advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Best to do the flooring first and then fit the bathroom suite on top. This will give it a more professional finish and looks better.

I put hardboard first(free), then vinyl the whole of the room then put the furniture on top, and ran silicon around the bottom of the sink etc and edges

If you lay the vinyl first, it will be a pain when you ever find the need to uplift it, also you will restrict the movement in the loose laid vinyl and may well get bubbles that you can't get out. If you seal up all the edges, the vinyl will look exactly the same as if you have fitted after the units are installed so there is no benefit there.

Personally I would fit the bathroom, ply, then fit the vinyl, it leaves all options open for the future and minimises possible issues in the event of bubbles/remedials/access to floor boards.

Sponsored Links
If you lay the vinyl first, it will be a pain when you ever find the need to uplift it, also you will restrict the movement in the loose laid vinyl and may well get bubbles that you can't get out. If you seal up all the edges, the vinyl will look exactly the same as if you have fitted after the units are installed so there is no benefit there.

Personally I would fit the bathroom, ply, then fit the vinyl, it leaves all options open for the future and minimises possible issues in the event of bubbles/remedials/access to floor boards.

Hmm...appreciate the input but i do feel that this methid gives the least amount of options. If i changed (for whatever reason) any of the furniture, getting a replacement with exactly the same base footprint shape as the other would surely be nigh on impossible, thus leaving either a gap or underhang (which obviously can be rectified.

I'm preferring the lay floor down before furniture method personally, but we'll see. Not quite at that stage yet, so could still change my mind :rolleyes:

The whole floor, fit the fittings, fit the vinyl. You won't find any sheet vinyl manufacturer that will recommend fitting their product the way you want to, it will also invalidate any warranties. LVT is a different matter however I would still fit that after everything else has been installed.

Hmmm....still undecided now.
By the way, my airline has ripped so rather than using my nailer i'll be sending 15mm screws into the floorboards (Well my son will :LOL: ).
Every 150mm isn't it?
Also, i have 2 sheets of ply that obviously need to join even together. Once screwed down whats the best way to ensure they are both level with each other?
Duck tape down the edge? Some levelling comound, like the one used under karndean flooring?

Thanks again.

You need a levellIng compound like microcoat to even the edges and nail heads etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back