Vinyl flooring in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I will be laying vinyl floor to a bathroom over 6mm ply.

I believe the best way to do this on domestic properties is to loose lay but I want to silicone the perimeter. will this be ok with heat exchange causing bubbling etc?

Sponsored Links
If you really must use silicone then you will have to be sure that the vinyl is fitted perfectly. Some (usually the cheaper ones) vinyls will expand shortly after fitting - they then need trimming. So wait a while!

Speaking as a retailer I would point out the futility of your plan....

Silicone will not adhere to itself - so if you ever have to lift your floor it will be difficult to then reseal it!!!
Silicone will not really make your floor waterproof either!

It really tends to be used to "hide" fitting errors

I am sure one of the fitters will be along soon...

When I do them I try the lay vinyl flat the day before to let it acclimatise. But if not possible try make sure its room temperature and not straight out the van and cold.
I use double sided tape round the edges then cut it in with a hook blade an try an leave a 1mm gap round the edges. You don't want it cut in tight or you will end up with bubbles.
Then silicone. White or clear. Very small thin bead round the perimeter.

so does the vinyl need to be stuck down around the perimeter with adhesive will silicone not suffice?

Sponsored Links
It don't have to be it just helps it from moving. Also help when cutting it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back