vinyl on bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have looked through past posts, but most people seem to be asking about tiling for their floors.
I live in a 1908 terraced house - the bathroom floorbaords are dire! They are split, gaps in them, worn, pulled up by plumbers so the t&g is missing etc etc. You get the idea.
Anyway, im re-doing the bathroom, done all the plumbing/radiator and have come to the floor part. I'm going ot lay vinyl, not tiles.

What thickness of plywood should i put over?
Or should i pull up all the floorboards and put down something else?
Also, my pipe work (existing Central Heating/water pipes) are really close to the surface, some of the existing floorboards rest on them a little - am very nervous about puncturing them with screws.

Any advice/answers would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You should be ok with 6mm ply. Use plenty of screws - every 6" or so. Get some screws that are long enough to go through the ply and about 3/4 of the way through the floorboards. i.e. if your floorboards are 18mm and the ply is 6mm, I'd probably get some 3.5 x 20mm screws.
Try and make sure that the floorboards are well screwed down to start with though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back