Vinyl over T&G floating floor; temporary solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My kitchen (11ft x 13 ft) is due a refurb but for logistical and financial reasons cannot be done for at least a year.

The flooring left by previous occupant is varished tongue and groove in the dining area, over wooden floor boards. I think it was probably done about 10 years ago or more. Next to where the units are on one wall is a piece of vinyl over chipboard, over wooden floor boards. There are metal strips on the interface between the two.

The T&G is broken in places and has seen better days. It is not entirely safe to walk barefoot because of raised nails and cracked boards. Becasue I know that the whole lot will be ripped up in a couple of years i do not want to spend large amounts of cash doing repairs, which is what may happen if I got someone skilled to replace the dodgy pieces of wood.

So I was wondering whether just to whack down the lifted nails, use glue and woodfiller where necessary and use some cheap vinyl just to cover the whole lot for now.

Any comments please on the cheapest, most effective temporary option and anything wrong with my propsed plan

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Any slight bumps or joins will show through vinyl flooring. The best solution would be fasten any loose boards and then cover the entire floor with plywood and then lay the vinyl on top.

A second option for a low cost fix would be to lay hardboard instead of ply (rough side up) you should pin it in place, and make sure that the edges of the hardboard are over a solid board and not in line with the existing joins in the T&G.

Any slight bumps or joins will show through vinyl flooring. The best solution would be fasten any loose boards and then cover the entire floor with plywood and then lay the vinyl on top.

A second option for a low cost fix would be to lay hardboard instead of ply (rough side up) you should pin it in place, and make sure that the edges of the hardboard are over a solid board and not in line with the existing joins in the T&G.

These are sound suggestions but it would grieve me to spend the extra on the ply or boarding if it had to be ripped up in a years time.

I could rip up the T&G and put the ply down which could be tiled over later when the kitchen is done "properly" and just have the cheapest vinyl until then, I suppose

Sponsored Links
Good idea, at least you won't be wasting anything other than the actual vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back