Vinyl paint on lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just bought a house and didn’t realise it had lime plaster on the interior walls. We applied one coat of dulux vinyl paint (2 days ago) before realising. Should we try and strip this off with a chemical stripper or just wait and see what happens?

Thank you,

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Looking on Google it seems to suggest you should dampen the plaster with water first before painting so I would just wait and see how it turns out.
Don't know what you would use to strip it if you needed to.

Our outer walls are stone but not currently breathable (we will need to chip off the masonry paint that is currently pealing and repoint it). 3 of the 4 interior walls that have been lime plastered are completely internal as they back onto extensions

Sponsored Links
Both surfaces need to be breathable so unless you rectify the internal walls its could be a waste of effort stripping the outer walls and vice versa. I dont know how you can remove 2 day old paint, strong detergent ?. Ring somewhere like Ty Mawr Lime or Mike Wye who specialize in breathable products to see if they have any suggestions but be quick.
I remove masony paint of the stone faces on my house with an air descaler but it was hard slow work.
Most breathability occurs through the joints themselves

I've lived in a few older houses with lime plaster walls. They had been painted with all sorts of things over the years and the plaster was still solid.

I'd not worry about it but don't use vinyl paint again.

Phew! Thank you so much for all of your replies-and yes we won’t be using a vinyl again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back