Vinyl pipe cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! This sounds ridiculous! I bought a Rolson vinyl pipe cutter with a rachet. I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the blade out. Have tried everything including wd40! Hate to be a pathetic woman, but there must be some simple explanation! Am cutting pipe on saturday - or not!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jannie

Sponsored Links
dont know these cutters but normally its push the handles of the cutter together to open the jaws, it might work the same with your cutters

thanks for your reply. The blade is firmly stuck in the closed position and nothing I do will budge it.I have tried pulling the ratchet holder down on the opposite side and pushing the ratchet into it but still won't open the blade! Baffled!

what ones have you got ?
if its the big orange ones they have a black button that you push in to release the cutter.

Sponsored Links
It's a black metal one, model 22435 - cheap! There is a screw through it with a bolt on the other end - I wondered if I should try to loosen it but It's on very tight, and I thought maybe the whole thing would fall apart!

they should just pull apart providing you have released the safety clip on the handle

Safety catch off. Have managed to get it open a tiny bit by hitting it with a hammer! Am going to throw it out of the window soon LOL! Am starting to think it's faulty?

sounds like the silver pivot bolt at the bottom is to tight.
i can open mine with one hand so would say yours are faulty.

Thakyou so much for all your efforts. Got no chance of getting a replacement by saturday. DIY - I sometimes wonder if it's worth it!!! Thanks again, regards, Jannie

I believe that you take the two handles and you pull them APART - very firmly.

My present ones work the same way.

Hello Everyone who tried to help! Pipe cutters definately faulty but did get them open and then failed to cut straight! Went to Screwfix and bought round one for not much more and it worked superbly. Plumbing job went like a dream aprt from hours spent trying to drill a hole through 300mm brick wall with a too short bit and a knacked sds! Such are the joys!
Thanks again
regards, Jannie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back