Vinyl Safety?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace our ground floor flooring - about 85sqm.

I have used solid wood flooring in the past however I understand that it's not suitable for underfloor heating which I'm planning to install.

I have two living rooms, hallways, utility room and kitchen/dining.

1. I have read that vinyl emits low VOC and could cause cancer - how much is myth /truth?

2. Is click vinyl or glue down vinyl better?

3. Any other flooring solution I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Avoid click Vinyl.

Glue Down Luxury Vinyl Tiles like Amtico/Karndean etc would be perfect fitted with High Temperature adhesive and with the correct floor prep as you need no expansion gaps around the edge of the floor or through doorways.

If you want real wood you can float an engineered wood floor on a underlay suitable for under floor heating however pay close attention to maximising expansion gaps, if you fit through doorways be aware you may need to retro fit doorbars if you have movement issues and whatever you do, don’t install a kitchen etc directly on top!

The above also applies if you were considering a good quality laminate floor.

We have engineered wood flooring in three rooms on the ground floor with UFH.

Neighbours have just had their wood removed and low tog carpet fitted.

Floor covering materials just have to be selected as suitable for UFH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back