Vinyl straight onto concrete, or wood first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Spent all morning lifting old ceramic tiles from our kitchen and utility room floor, and scraping the concrete subfloor to remove adhesive.

Going to put down vinyl flooring (the sheet kind) for now. As it’s only 4mm thick, do I need to put plywood or hardwood sheets down first, or is this not done on concrete?

Alternatively, happy to lower the skirting boards, they’ll be coming off anyway, and replaced after new floor goes down.

9BFE6D1C-1588-4C1C-BE2D-E37DE9EAB7DD.jpeg 4C5C70BC-D0AB-47B7-A289-E3FA6CC3CFEA.jpeg

Any advice appreciated.

Gareth

Sponsored Links
You would need to put primer down the. Smoothing compound like ardex NA or Fball 1200 or similar
But you need to check if the sub floor has a damp proof membrane

House only built in 2005, so hoping it should have a DPM. How would I check?

I’ve read mixed reviews on self levelling compound vs plywood. Decided to go with plywood as easier to get up in the future if needed.

Sponsored Links
It will be ok if 2005.

You don’t put ply on concrete mate. It would be a Nightmare to get up and you would have to drill plug screw and glue the ply down.

if you use a screeding compound you would never need to take it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back