Virgin Media Catch up on demand. Freezing picture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if this is a common problem.
When we watch catch up TV it often freezes into little squares on the screen.
Doesn't happen on regular TV though.

Sponsored Links
Speak to Virgin, it my be that there to many people using the same supply in your area, or there is someting wrong with the buffering.
I am on V+ never have problems, except for the responce of the remote control

We recently got a V+ HD box.
Thought it might cure it but it still freezes, but not as much.

It seems to be a buffering problem, like when you download a live stream, or watching a DVD that can't track properly.

A power off reset would most likely cure it.

I find Cable TV to use a bizarre streaming setup. They seem to download content from one satellite, then re-broadcast it to another uplink, then downlink it again, for repeater coverage?

I was watching the old analogue cable box, and suddenly a Sky channel change graphic appeared, went through some channels, then selected a channel that I didn't subscribe to. SORTED! But after a few minutes, the channel was returned to the origional BAH!

So in your case OP, you might have faulty video RAM in the box itself, or the cable into your house has been damaged slightly? (water ingress)

Sky TV has these artifacts all the time, especially in bad weather. That's why I have both Sky and Cable TV. (Sky don't provide Sky3, channel 5 etc..if you don't subsribe, cable does); Cable is simply rebroadcasting the origional Sky broadcast.

If you have Cable internet, and phone, they provide a box and install it for a nominal £1 a month, if you have Sky.

Sponsored Links
Thing that puzzles me though is...Normal TV viewing is fine.
No freezing or squares on the screen. It's just catch up TV that seems to be affected. We had a new V+ box installed 2 weeks ago as well.

My suspicion (though unfortunately I doubt VM will ever admit to it) is that the equipment that prepares the catch up service at the head end is :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back