virgin media

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone else had trouble with a phone socket installed by virgin ? they fitted a new one about a year ago but we have not got the same problem as before,the box is fitted onto an outside wall and damp seems to be getting into the box and corroding the circuit board,i've asked them to move it but they say i will have to pay does this seem right.

Sponsored Links
I think if its on the outside you shouldn't have to pay as its usually the property of virgin media.

I know external BT cable problems are repaired free of charge as its the property of BT, Look on the cable going into the box, My external phone cable says property of BT PLC,

How can you pay for something repaired that doesn't belong to you.

Can you clarify what box you are talking about?

If it's a box actually on the outside then they should be taking appropriate measures to keep the weather out

OTOH if it's the actual master socket and it is on the inside of an outside wall and it's getting damp then either they didn't put the cable through the wall properly in which case they should pay IMO or your house has a damp problem In which case you need to get that sorted first and then probablly pay them for repairing the stuff that was damaged because you let your house get damp.

Either way just replacing the socket without curing the underlying problem is only going to provide a short term fix.

Sorry for the late reply only just gt in from work : ( the box is on the inside of the wall,there are no sign of damp but it looks as if the water is getting into the box by running down the cable ,been advised to silicone the seal when they fit the new box hope this sorts out the problem.

Sponsored Links
had the engineer here today and he found out what the problems were,no drip loop and where the cable goes through wall no grommet or silicone fitted all done now so hopefully no more problems.

a big thanks to everyone and well done to doherty1234 and johnd who were spot on with there response :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back