virus recognition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How come an anti-virus programme can monitor all the time but then when you do a full scan it can pick up a virus? Why did it let it through in the first place?

Sponsored Links
It might have got in before an update to detect it was in place

I agree with Igorian, plus there is not a '100% efficient' anti-virus program. For example, my virus protection seems to allow viruses to get into my java 'cache' while in real time monitoring, but finds them if I do a system scan :rolleyes:

If you haven't already got a decent Firewall - I would recommend you do - it will give you a bit more protection.

Depending on the AV software the live scan will only scan files that are used whilst working.

Most viruses are only "triggered" when you do something specific (depends on the virus) so this is one of the reasons (as well as the other mentioned) that it doesn't detect it.

You should NEVER rely on live scanning. Always scan your data at least once a week with updated definitions.

Sponsored Links
I just ran a full system scan, first one for months, with Norton AV, took 45 mins, and it found 5 adware files, none of which it could delete. talk about a waste of my time! I had just renewed my subscription and downloaded latest definitions too! :evil: Still, i guess it means the live monitoring is working :D

crafty1289 said:
I just ran a full system scan, first one for months, with Norton AV, took 45 mins, and it found 5 adware files, none of which it could delete. talk about a waste of my time! I had just renewed my subscription and downloaded latest definitions too! :evil: Still, i guess it means the live monitoring is working :D

The Adware you could not delete is likely to be running in the background. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and check what programs are running. Some will be obvious what they are, some less obvious. If ever I am in doubt, I type the name of the fie into a search engine, and you will find more info on it. When you detect the adware file, 'End Process', then try deleting it when it is not active. Sometimes there are other files that re-generate the adware, but you should hopefully find this info when you are searching what it does.

Hope this makes sense :oops:

Good luck :)

During a full system scan, Norton will scan any system restore files that have been created. It will not however, be able to remove any infected files from these locations. It might be worth turning system restore off, rebooting and then do the scan. Once clean, you can resume system restore if you need it.