Void behind plasterboard - re-board or brick and plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found a sash window frame in the party wall of my bathroom. The other side is bricked up, and the frame had been covered with plasterboard to make the bathroom wall itself. The walls to either side appear to be solid, although I can't see far up enough to see what's above the frame (nor what's supporting the wall above..)

Is it worth bricking up the void, or could I just build attach batons to existing brickwork and install another board? Would be handy to be able to board this as I'd like to install a shower mixer in that exact spot, but I'm not sure if there are any pitfalls going down that route..

Any advice? Tips?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with doing it either way. Worth shoving a bit of insulation in there whie you're at it.

In fact, if you're going to run pipework and fit a shower there, there's nothing to stop you taking the bricks out to floor level, build a timber frame and use aquapanel instead of plasterboard, ready to fix the tiles onto.

odd.. you say it's a party wall? why would there be a window into next door?
or have they had and extension built and bricked over your window?

Ours not to reason why ;)

Could be the original builders got the drawing the wrong way round ;)

Sponsored Links

I suspect the latter, although nothing would surprise me in this place.

Turns out that there's a wooden lintel above where the frame used to be. Presumably I want to avoid fixing the top of the frame to that, so am I right in thinking that it's enough to fix the frame to the wall at the bottom/sides only? Or do I need to get the lintel replaced and attach to that?

Also, any tips on how to join aquapanel to plastered walls on either side? One of the points at which the panel meets the wall will be painted, so need to make sure I can get a good finish there...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back