Void filled with bricks underneath front garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place for this, building might be more appropriate...

I am attempting to install a fence post in my front garden against a retaining wall. I have dug gown about half a metre and have uncovered a void filled with bricks.

9Kzok2w.jpg

Is this normal? I am assuming it is where they dumped all the old building materials when they built the front garden up.

I was planning on putting my fence post into the hole and then filling it with concrete. Anyone see an issue with doing that?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking soakaway for your rainwater gutters, but I'm not so sure now. Did you make that hole? Can you poke a camera inside and take some flash pics?

How old is the house?

How close is the hole to the house?

Sometimes there's an old air-raid shelter.

Sponsored Links
House is 80s so doubt it will be a shelter, much to my dissapointment :) Will get a camera inside later on and post some pics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back