Voip and Superfast Sky Fibre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,just had Sky Superfast Fibre installed, and I now can only use a phone plugged into Sky Router (Voip)..I was told I could use my current phone BUT it is a two handset that needs to be plugged in ,I have plugged it into electric socket and connected it to phone socket on router (as advised) But it does not work,can anyone advise what type of handset I can use? I also need to have the phone situated approx 25ft from the router would a R11 cable that length be able to do that? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
have plugged it into electric socket and connected it to phone socket on router
What you have should work.
Sorry no suggestion on how to fix it.
Test with another phone?

also need to have the phone situated approx 25ft from the router would a R11 cable that length be able to do that?
Yes - and does work for me as I have this.

SFK

Hi,thanks for that info...I have now tried again from scratch.. I've plugged both handsets into electric sockets...BUT i plugged router ( purple end) into recommended broadband socket ( purple one) and phone does NOT ring...I then took it out of router broadband named socket and put it into socket named ITALIA/ROI and this time the phone worked...strange it should work in that one any ideas as to why and should i leave it at that set up you think ?

Sponsored Links
ITALIA/ROI stands for Italy / Republic of Ireland.
The ITALIA/ROI socket is directly connected to the BT socket.

I am guessing :
The router cable with the purple end still has a normal phone line on it (as well as Sky Internet).
Inside the router box the ITALIA/ROI phone socket is directly connected/wired to the UK phone socket (they are to diffrent sahped sockets connected together inside the box).
So when you plug the router cable with the purple end on it (that still has a normal phone line on it) into the ITALIA/ROI socket, the phone signal goes from the router cable cable into the ITALIA/ROI socket, inside the box to the UK socket, and then to your phone.

Outcome:
I would guess / presume you still have anlogue phone line on the Sky cable.
Is there a phone socket on the Sky wall box?

I would also tell Sky that VOIP is not enabled.

SFK

Last edited:
Hi there are no wires/cables now going into or out of the BT master socket on the wall,the purple ended cable is connected to the phone one end and the other end inserted into the Italia/Roi socket...the phone does not work if inserted into UK socket on back of router but does work when inserted into the Italia/Roi socket(albeit very quiet)...as the phone then rings and can be used...it is not affecting download speeds or anything...so will it be ok to keep it at this set up ?

Sounds as if I am completly wroing in my assuption above.
Sorry to say I have no idea - one of those that is lukely easier to understand if can be seen.
SFK

I have my router broadband connection plugged into my BT master socket, phone base station plugged into 'UK' input on router. Both handsets are wirelessly linked to the base station.

Thanks guys but I've worked it out....one cable is totally spare...as nothing needs to be connected to BT master socket...and I found a spare phone connection cable that plugs into UK socket...so now all working as it should...thanks for all the input....Cheers

Hi,it's a Sky Fibre Superfast router connected to something that BT installed and connected called an ONT which is fitted on my wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-133543_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-133543_Google.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 86

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back